Skip to main content

Be sporting - don't forsake The Games


"STAY AND ENJOY THE GAMES OF A LIFETIME" the Evening Standard implored us weary Londoners today. There is something thoroughly British about the urge to run in the opposite direction when the spotlight falls anywhere near our merry island, but this is not the jolly, robust, stiff-upper-lip Britishness that even Hitler himself admired; there is something much more disdainful about the thought that we, as a country, are so cynical about the Olympics, we are prepared - nee, eager - to boycott, to forsake our national brethren at the time when they most need our support, because basically we can't be arsed to put up with two weeks' worth of disruption and all those "bloody foreigners". The Olympics coming to London may well only happen once in our lifetime, and yet it seems to have become the national pastime to grumble and chide and book the first Easyjet flight outta' Dodge.

We seem to have a nationwide aversion to anything organised, fun, flamboyant, not strictly necessary, expensive...ok, so I can get on board with the argument that we are spending £2 million on a diving board and when people are losing their jobs and their homes. But if we never spent a penny beyond what Joe Public deemed solely in the national interest, the country would become a dire place indeed - and presumably one without the cinemas and fried chicken shops that much of JP has become so very fond of.

I speak as one of the hundreds of thousands of Brits who do not have the luxury of high-tailing it to Majorca when the Olympics comes to town. In my case, admittedly, it is my devotion to the dialysis machine that keeps my feet (very literally) on the ground, but, hard as it is to believe, there are untold multitudes who have jobs to work, dependent relatives to care for, houses to tend and a whole variety of commitments to foster who can't just up and leave because London will be standing room only for a fortnight. I am appalled to realise we need headlines and Stephen Fry to convince us not to abandon the Olympics. Even if I could leave the country, I wouldn't want to - and I don't need to screaming headline to convince me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Postscript

You wouldn't believe where I am. You could guess, if you've seen the gratuitous images of my self-satisfied gurning face in front of an infinity pool on Facebook...otherwise you might find it hard to imagine the paradise in which I currently find myself. I am in Dubai. Bar Abby Clancey and the cast of TOWIE, is is not everyone's idea of paradise - it actually wasn't mine. It is exciting, exotic and fucking hot, but the skyscrapers and traffic, the desert and cultural  deficiency (not to mention the chavs that clutter up the Ritz Carlton these days, I mean honestly...) suggest you'd be hard-pushed to call it paradise. It is vaulted to utopian heights simply because, four-months after the transplant, I am here. My nearest and dearest suffered for seven years as I dreamily aired my wanderlust. Yet the reward of a post-transplant holiday seemed too extravagant a prize for which to yearn - wasn't a life free from dialysis enough? Wasn't having a drink when t

The nights are closing in

The final step of my home dialysis journey (bleugh, journey...sounds like I'm on The X Factor) begins on the 22nd July when Nurse Carla will arrive with a sleeping bag and, presumably, some strong coffee, and sit on my sofa all night whilst I perform my first nocturnal session. It is the dialysis equivalent of hiring a wet nurse. During a regular daytime session, nothing should go wrong unless I have lined the machine carelessly with one eye on Only Connect and consequently forgotten to connect/un-clamp/tighten something pivotal. Dermot should behave, stay quiet and not do any of his ghastly alarm-yelping. At night, however, the chances of rolling over onto the tubes and occluding the blood flow, or the needles falling out and slowly bleeding to death, are much higher, what with all the concurrent sleeping I'll be doing; when this happens Dermot senses DANGER and screams at me. Undoubtedly, my first session with Carla will be seamless; I know from experience that it is only

Dying to donate?

"Sooo...if you stopped dialysis, how long would it take you to die?" Katie asked me over juice and Bourbons yesterday. It sounds like a morbid topic of conversation for a sunny Thursday afternoon, but fortunately it is not something I am squeamish about. Unfortunately, for 5 renal failure patients a day, this disease proves fatal, but the extreme potential of kidney failure is something I came to terms with a long time ago; yes, I might die from kidney failure, but you might get hit by a bus tomorrow. And then maybe I'd get your kidney. Katie's blunt question came as part of a larger discussion we were having about the general societal attitude towards donation. The fact that only around 25% of the population are currently willing to donate their organs suggests that most people have a very negative perception of the process - if only this were true. Whilst there are those who do have a strong moral, physical or religious objection to donating (and have a clear and