Skip to main content

A weighty issue

I shall tell you the same thing I told my French pen-pal (circa. 1996) when explaining why I wouldn't be accompanying the rest of my class on a visit to Paris: "Je n'ai pas les reins". The excuse of having no kidneys is one that still holds up today and one that I continue to use shamelessly - especially when it comes to lying to myself about my weight.

For those of you with no particular scientific bent (I include myself in this bracket), the kidneys filter out the toxins in your system and process them into urine, which you excrete naturally. Having no kidneys means that the toxins gradually build up and begin to poison the body. Similarly, any fluid consumed through eating and drinking remains in the body, which begins to swell, creating the appearance that the patient is putting on weight. Essentially they are, but it is fluid, not fat, and it is removed during dialysis. Between sessions, I can put on anything from 1 - 4 kilos which I miraculously loose as soon as I dialyse.

The Dialysis Diet Plan is highly effective (but highly un-recommended) and has led me to become increasingly lazy in regard to my exercise and diet regime. A mid-week chinese is much easier to justify when you know you can just have it sucked out of you the following day. Any why bother slogging away in the gym when you can spend four hours doing nothing more strenuous than watching ER and STILL loose weight?!

Post-Christmas, however, and my "oh, it's just fluid" excuse was looking a little flaccid. Despite setting the machine to take off 2 kilos worth of fluid, I was still not hitting my target weight. There must be something wrong with the machine. Maybe I set it wrong. Or MAYBE consuming entire boxes of Roses almost single-handedly, or having Pringles as a mid-morning snack, has meant that even after losing 2 kilos of fluid, I'm still PUTTING ON WEIGHT. Actual weight - fat. Damn it. It occurred to me I was actually going to have to (gulp) work to get it off, just like everybody else.

Monday morning: my first excursion to the gym in about a month. After allaying my initial fear that my membership card would no longer work on account of my prolonged absence, I headed up to the gym for what I was sure was going to be an unenjoyable 45 minutes. I was right. The whole thing hurt, from start to finish. I watched every second tick past as I ran morosely on the treadmill; my hamstrings stung as I attempted to stretch them out of hibernation in a downwards facing dog and my upper-body strength seemed to have deserted me, making planks and free-weights akin to a session down Guantanamo Bay. I finally gave up and stalked home in a despondent fug. Stupid gym. Stupid exercise. Stupid diet. I fell asleep that night dreaming of muffins.

Dialysis really is the gift that keeps on giving. How else would I have found the time to work through The West Wing in its entirety? Or catch up on celebrity magazines? Or loose weight?! It is like having liposuction every other day, for free. Today is Wednesday, a dialysis day. So just time to eat a pile of toast and then off to the hospital...for a workout...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Postscript

You wouldn't believe where I am. You could guess, if you've seen the gratuitous images of my self-satisfied gurning face in front of an infinity pool on Facebook...otherwise you might find it hard to imagine the paradise in which I currently find myself. I am in Dubai. Bar Abby Clancey and the cast of TOWIE, is is not everyone's idea of paradise - it actually wasn't mine. It is exciting, exotic and fucking hot, but the skyscrapers and traffic, the desert and cultural  deficiency (not to mention the chavs that clutter up the Ritz Carlton these days, I mean honestly...) suggest you'd be hard-pushed to call it paradise. It is vaulted to utopian heights simply because, four-months after the transplant, I am here. My nearest and dearest suffered for seven years as I dreamily aired my wanderlust. Yet the reward of a post-transplant holiday seemed too extravagant a prize for which to yearn - wasn't a life free from dialysis enough? Wasn't having a drink when t

The phone rings Part III: The Final Chapter

Two weeks ago today, I was in surgery receiving my new kidney. The hospital kicked me out in less than a week and over the last seven days I have divided my time between the transplant clinic and my sofa, with the occasional shuffle up to Sainsbury's to ensure the muscles in my legs don't atrophy. I've had the pleasure of a steady stream of visitors, all of whom have bought me yet more wonderful and totally unnecessary gifts – I have been royally spoilt and I am stupidly grateful to all of you. The kidney itself appears to be going great guns. I was initially attending clinic on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and was committed to doing so, but the hospital are so pleased with me they are happy to start seeing me just twice a week. The pivotal result they test for is my level of creatinine, a substance that occurs naturally in the body as a result of muscle break down. The kidney filters out creatinine through the urine, therefore if there is lots present in the blood it is

The nights are closing in

The final step of my home dialysis journey (bleugh, journey...sounds like I'm on The X Factor) begins on the 22nd July when Nurse Carla will arrive with a sleeping bag and, presumably, some strong coffee, and sit on my sofa all night whilst I perform my first nocturnal session. It is the dialysis equivalent of hiring a wet nurse. During a regular daytime session, nothing should go wrong unless I have lined the machine carelessly with one eye on Only Connect and consequently forgotten to connect/un-clamp/tighten something pivotal. Dermot should behave, stay quiet and not do any of his ghastly alarm-yelping. At night, however, the chances of rolling over onto the tubes and occluding the blood flow, or the needles falling out and slowly bleeding to death, are much higher, what with all the concurrent sleeping I'll be doing; when this happens Dermot senses DANGER and screams at me. Undoubtedly, my first session with Carla will be seamless; I know from experience that it is only