Skip to main content

A hole in one go



Sometimes the biggest changes are bought about by the smallest endeavours. Last Friday I was given the opportunity to have a go at doing my needles. In the past, I would have responded with a hollow laugh and a sense of overwhelming anxiety that was only placated by my belief that a transplant would come soon and I could forget about dialysis completely, needles and all. But now, with the hope of getting a kidney all but extinguished, my only recourse is to learn how to put my needles in as a first step on the road doing my own dialysis at home.

Admittedly, it is scary how quickly I have had to radically change my expectations of life, but home dialysis now seems like the most promising route to happiness…so when my nurse, let’s call her Doris, asked if I would like to learn to do my needles…Reader, I said yes.

And I only fucking went and did it! Well, almost…for the first, lower needle I rested my hand upon Doris’s as she pushed it through the skin, but for someone who has spent almost five years turning her head in the opposite direction whenever a needle came into view, this in itself was a major achievement. When it came time to do needle number 2, however, the adrenaline was flowing and I actually held it myself and, with Doris’s help, I inserted it into my fistula. Boom. I was pathetically pleased with myself.

Then I went home for the weekend and went a bit mental. I kept replaying the experience in my head; I had, voluntarily, pushed two very large needles into my arm and left them there for four hours - and felt joyful for doing it. Something was wrong with this scenario. I must admit, I felt…sad; sad that my life had come to this, sad that this was now my reality; sad that this was something I was having to contend with at all, let alone experiencing it as a triumph. But there isn’t room for that sort of thinking now. A transplant is not going to come along and save me anymore, so I have to make my own luck and you know what they say: nothing is as lucky as two holes in your arm. Or something like that.

I was worried that when I returned to the hospital on Monday my enthusiasm for self-needling would have waned, but the incentive of home dialysis was overwhelming. I reminded myself that if I had done it once I could certainly do it again, and the more I do it the more adept I shall become and the less ghoulish it will seem. This time was even better than the first: the lower needle was a joint effort, but the top one I all but did unassisted. In the space of for days I have somehow managed to overcome five years of debilitating anxiety about needling myself – I suspect we are all capable of the most extraordinary things given certain circumstances. The next step is to become proficient enough that I can perform the whole process, very literally, single-handedly; after that, I can start to look into the feasibility of taking charge of my own treatment in my own home. I have to believe, somewhere in the recesses of my mind, that one day this will all change, and that I won’t be reliant on a machine forever, otherwise I wouldn’t bother to carry on. But for the time being, I am not thinking beyond the next set of needles.

It’s a hole new world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Postscript

You wouldn't believe where I am. You could guess, if you've seen the gratuitous images of my self-satisfied gurning face in front of an infinity pool on Facebook...otherwise you might find it hard to imagine the paradise in which I currently find myself. I am in Dubai. Bar Abby Clancey and the cast of TOWIE, is is not everyone's idea of paradise - it actually wasn't mine. It is exciting, exotic and fucking hot, but the skyscrapers and traffic, the desert and cultural  deficiency (not to mention the chavs that clutter up the Ritz Carlton these days, I mean honestly...) suggest you'd be hard-pushed to call it paradise. It is vaulted to utopian heights simply because, four-months after the transplant, I am here. My nearest and dearest suffered for seven years as I dreamily aired my wanderlust. Yet the reward of a post-transplant holiday seemed too extravagant a prize for which to yearn - wasn't a life free from dialysis enough? Wasn't having a drink when t

The nights are closing in

The final step of my home dialysis journey (bleugh, journey...sounds like I'm on The X Factor) begins on the 22nd July when Nurse Carla will arrive with a sleeping bag and, presumably, some strong coffee, and sit on my sofa all night whilst I perform my first nocturnal session. It is the dialysis equivalent of hiring a wet nurse. During a regular daytime session, nothing should go wrong unless I have lined the machine carelessly with one eye on Only Connect and consequently forgotten to connect/un-clamp/tighten something pivotal. Dermot should behave, stay quiet and not do any of his ghastly alarm-yelping. At night, however, the chances of rolling over onto the tubes and occluding the blood flow, or the needles falling out and slowly bleeding to death, are much higher, what with all the concurrent sleeping I'll be doing; when this happens Dermot senses DANGER and screams at me. Undoubtedly, my first session with Carla will be seamless; I know from experience that it is only

The phone rings Part III: The Final Chapter

Two weeks ago today, I was in surgery receiving my new kidney. The hospital kicked me out in less than a week and over the last seven days I have divided my time between the transplant clinic and my sofa, with the occasional shuffle up to Sainsbury's to ensure the muscles in my legs don't atrophy. I've had the pleasure of a steady stream of visitors, all of whom have bought me yet more wonderful and totally unnecessary gifts – I have been royally spoilt and I am stupidly grateful to all of you. The kidney itself appears to be going great guns. I was initially attending clinic on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and was committed to doing so, but the hospital are so pleased with me they are happy to start seeing me just twice a week. The pivotal result they test for is my level of creatinine, a substance that occurs naturally in the body as a result of muscle break down. The kidney filters out creatinine through the urine, therefore if there is lots present in the blood it is