Skip to main content

Working Girl

I have an upcoming interview this week - to officially leave my old job. It is a job interview in reverse. Up until the start of January, I was an English teacher in a "challenging" secondary school in Bermondsey, and - for the most part - I loved my job. Taking the decision to leave was not one I relished and I still miss my work and my colleagues immensely.

When I began in my role, I was absolutely determined to make dialysis fit around the job. Finally, I had a chance to be just like everyone else: get up; traipse to work; work like a bitch; manically eat lunch at your desk whilst trying to do five other things; work some more; traipse home; eat; TV; bed. I could not wait.

Unfortunately, it wasn't to be. My primary motivation in going back to work was to finally force dialysis into the shadows of my day-to-day existence and push something positive and productive (not to mention more lucrative than sitting on my arse watching re-runs of Top Gear) to the fore-front. It quickly became apparent, however, that dialysis had staked it's mucky flag smack-bang in the middle of my life, and it wasn't going anywhere. I tried desperately to deny this truth for four grueling months, but finally capitulated after a long, long term. Kidney failure had bent me over its knee, pulled up my skirt and spanked me hard, yet again.

When you have a chronic disease that features prominently in your life, it is hard not to define yourself by it. I see the illness in the way I look; in what I eat and drink; in what I do - in what I don't do. Whilst I was working, I was no longer "Rosy: the girl who needs a kidney" but "Rosy: teacher...and er...all-round good egg". The trick, which I have not yet mastered, is to be both, of course. From the very first time I experienced a symptom to the day I take my last breath, this illness will be a part of me and I have learnt the hard way it is far easier simply to accept that fact than try to pretend it isn't true. I lost a kidney that way. But a part, I have learnt from GCSE maths, is not ALL. Kidney failure is simply one slice of the delicious Rosy Pie.

When I re-join the workforce in the coming weeks, I shall need to fit work around dialysis, not vice-versa. Obviously, "teacher" is out of the equation and "waitress" lacks a certain gravitas..."writer" definitely has the most appealing ring to it (and multi-award winning millionaire writer sounds even better). Writing is an ideal profession for someone contending with kidney failure because it is eminently portable and can fit around dialysing hours. I also have an infinite number of hilarious kidney-related anecdotes to write about!

In the pursuit of good karma, I have chosen to perceive my descent back into the the bowels of renal failure and the subsequent loss of my job as a positive occurrence. Perhaps it is the push I needed to at least try and write professionally; my own personal lightning bolt. It is so easy to only see the value of something when it is gone; it must be, because I bloody hated being abused by 11 year-olds who were considerably taller than me when I was doing it. But the stuff - just the everyday stuff, the monotonous stuff - that is what life is made of, and I can't wait to get it back again. My life is essentially on hold until I get a kidney to call my own, but until then, maybe I can work in a little work as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Postscript

You wouldn't believe where I am. You could guess, if you've seen the gratuitous images of my self-satisfied gurning face in front of an infinity pool on Facebook...otherwise you might find it hard to imagine the paradise in which I currently find myself. I am in Dubai. Bar Abby Clancey and the cast of TOWIE, is is not everyone's idea of paradise - it actually wasn't mine. It is exciting, exotic and fucking hot, but the skyscrapers and traffic, the desert and cultural  deficiency (not to mention the chavs that clutter up the Ritz Carlton these days, I mean honestly...) suggest you'd be hard-pushed to call it paradise. It is vaulted to utopian heights simply because, four-months after the transplant, I am here. My nearest and dearest suffered for seven years as I dreamily aired my wanderlust. Yet the reward of a post-transplant holiday seemed too extravagant a prize for which to yearn - wasn't a life free from dialysis enough? Wasn't having a drink when t

The nights are closing in

The final step of my home dialysis journey (bleugh, journey...sounds like I'm on The X Factor) begins on the 22nd July when Nurse Carla will arrive with a sleeping bag and, presumably, some strong coffee, and sit on my sofa all night whilst I perform my first nocturnal session. It is the dialysis equivalent of hiring a wet nurse. During a regular daytime session, nothing should go wrong unless I have lined the machine carelessly with one eye on Only Connect and consequently forgotten to connect/un-clamp/tighten something pivotal. Dermot should behave, stay quiet and not do any of his ghastly alarm-yelping. At night, however, the chances of rolling over onto the tubes and occluding the blood flow, or the needles falling out and slowly bleeding to death, are much higher, what with all the concurrent sleeping I'll be doing; when this happens Dermot senses DANGER and screams at me. Undoubtedly, my first session with Carla will be seamless; I know from experience that it is only

The phone rings Part III: The Final Chapter

Two weeks ago today, I was in surgery receiving my new kidney. The hospital kicked me out in less than a week and over the last seven days I have divided my time between the transplant clinic and my sofa, with the occasional shuffle up to Sainsbury's to ensure the muscles in my legs don't atrophy. I've had the pleasure of a steady stream of visitors, all of whom have bought me yet more wonderful and totally unnecessary gifts – I have been royally spoilt and I am stupidly grateful to all of you. The kidney itself appears to be going great guns. I was initially attending clinic on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and was committed to doing so, but the hospital are so pleased with me they are happy to start seeing me just twice a week. The pivotal result they test for is my level of creatinine, a substance that occurs naturally in the body as a result of muscle break down. The kidney filters out creatinine through the urine, therefore if there is lots present in the blood it is