Skip to main content

It'll be alright on the nights

Never have I had so much to write, and so little time to write it. I penned this entry last week on the bus to work (by hand! The humanity!) and still it has taken me a solid ten days to commit anything to blog. This is due in no small part to Tinder (that will get an entry all to itself) but my internship is keeping me in the office until at least 6:30 most days and my brand new nocturnal dialysis regime - you know, the one that is supposed to free up all my time - is consuming any remaining free moment.

About a month ago I typed out a post that had the working title of "My Life Has Been Ruined and I Demand Your Pity". I never posted it. I spared no detail enumerating the various teething problems I'd been having, none of which felt like teething problems at the time but hulking, insurmountable obstacles that suggested dialysis wasn't my bag and I should just rent a cottage by the sea and wait for death. It turned out most of the problems were caused by human error - the human in question being myself - although when my bottom needle started bleeding at 3am during a session a couple of weeks ago it was just bad luck. By 5:30 I had managed to get the bleeding under control and detach myself from the machine, but the blood that covered the floor, the walls, my bed and myself had to wait until the morning for my attention. I am slowly growing used to having a bedroom that looks less like a Cath Kidston window display and more like a scene from Drive.


I hope you're not squeamish....
My fistula, meanwhile, has been restored to its former glory. The operation was deemed a success, although I elected to dialyse at home by way of a test run, only to find the needling site had shifted and I was in no position to start tunnelling like a Welshman to try and find it. This resulted in a night spent dialysing at the hospital, though the fact that I only slept for thirty minutes was offset by a proficient nurse who managed to access the fistula first time and an Egg McMuffin for breakfast.

Hospital nights....

...but a new improved fistula....
....and a breakfast of Kings
My induction to a night time regime has been a bigger adjustment than I'd anticipated: going to bed is now a new and foreign experience, although I am learning to sleep, albeit on my back with my left arm held stiffly aside. Dermot is also very noisy at night; when my now dearly deceased hamster Hammy gnawed his bars I could put his cage in the bathroom, but I am more heavily invested in Dermot. On a good night, his rhythmic, mechanical hum almost has a soothing quality to it, but he is wont to ruin it by doing his alarm-yelp because something is twisted/blocked/bleeding all over the floor. Apparently there is also a way of turning off the illuminated screen but the techs need to come out and do it so I have resorted to hanging a cardigan over the monitor. Cutting edge stuff.

The Dialysis Illumination
It has been a rocky start, but surely that means things can only improve. Perhaps if I stopped going out and getting drunk all the time things wouldn't be so hectic; I appear to have made up for the last six years in the last two months. By October my beloved internship will have come to an end, I shall be back at uni and I'll be looking for a job; the seasons will change, X Factor will start and it will be Christmas again before you know it. My hope is that in this time, dialysis will weave seamlessly into my everyday existence and cause me no more consternation than a bathroom-bound hamster.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Postscript

You wouldn't believe where I am. You could guess, if you've seen the gratuitous images of my self-satisfied gurning face in front of an infinity pool on Facebook...otherwise you might find it hard to imagine the paradise in which I currently find myself. I am in Dubai. Bar Abby Clancey and the cast of TOWIE, is is not everyone's idea of paradise - it actually wasn't mine. It is exciting, exotic and fucking hot, but the skyscrapers and traffic, the desert and cultural  deficiency (not to mention the chavs that clutter up the Ritz Carlton these days, I mean honestly...) suggest you'd be hard-pushed to call it paradise. It is vaulted to utopian heights simply because, four-months after the transplant, I am here. My nearest and dearest suffered for seven years as I dreamily aired my wanderlust. Yet the reward of a post-transplant holiday seemed too extravagant a prize for which to yearn - wasn't a life free from dialysis enough? Wasn't having a drink when t

The nights are closing in

The final step of my home dialysis journey (bleugh, journey...sounds like I'm on The X Factor) begins on the 22nd July when Nurse Carla will arrive with a sleeping bag and, presumably, some strong coffee, and sit on my sofa all night whilst I perform my first nocturnal session. It is the dialysis equivalent of hiring a wet nurse. During a regular daytime session, nothing should go wrong unless I have lined the machine carelessly with one eye on Only Connect and consequently forgotten to connect/un-clamp/tighten something pivotal. Dermot should behave, stay quiet and not do any of his ghastly alarm-yelping. At night, however, the chances of rolling over onto the tubes and occluding the blood flow, or the needles falling out and slowly bleeding to death, are much higher, what with all the concurrent sleeping I'll be doing; when this happens Dermot senses DANGER and screams at me. Undoubtedly, my first session with Carla will be seamless; I know from experience that it is only

The phone rings Part III: The Final Chapter

Two weeks ago today, I was in surgery receiving my new kidney. The hospital kicked me out in less than a week and over the last seven days I have divided my time between the transplant clinic and my sofa, with the occasional shuffle up to Sainsbury's to ensure the muscles in my legs don't atrophy. I've had the pleasure of a steady stream of visitors, all of whom have bought me yet more wonderful and totally unnecessary gifts – I have been royally spoilt and I am stupidly grateful to all of you. The kidney itself appears to be going great guns. I was initially attending clinic on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and was committed to doing so, but the hospital are so pleased with me they are happy to start seeing me just twice a week. The pivotal result they test for is my level of creatinine, a substance that occurs naturally in the body as a result of muscle break down. The kidney filters out creatinine through the urine, therefore if there is lots present in the blood it is