Skip to main content

The happy returns

I don't know how this has happened but somehow my birthday has arrived. I am 27 tomorrow. Not a traditional milestone, granted, but I shall be celebrating more than just my twenty seven years on this earth when the clock strikes midnight.

The last twelve months have been momentous. I was not in a good place this time last year; my 26th was noting more than an untimely reminder that I was still tethered to the hospital and with no end in sight. A month later, having been silently sending up prayers for a new kidney, my phone rang; for a few hours it seemed like the moment for which I had been so steadfastly waiting for three and a half years might finally have arrived. It wasn't to be, but I left the hospital in the early hours of that Friday morning more optimistic than I had felt in months.

Hope is a strange phenomena: you rely on it most when you feel it the least. After the exhilaration of the Transplant That Never Was came the despair of finding out my chances of ever getting a kidney from The List were practically zilch. Massive bummer. I went for coffee with my my poor mother and told her that if things had not changed six months hence, I would give up dialysis and, well, die soon there after. And I meant it.

But ta-da! Still here! Thankfully, things did change, and dramatically so. The start of this year heralded a change of address, a change of dialysis and a complete change of heart; it wasn't an entirely smooth journey to get here, and challenges still lay ahead. But tomorrow is not a day to be concerned with the challenges. Tomorrow is a day to give thanks for the almost indecent good fortune I have in my life and to look to the future. If my life has improved to this extent in this last twelve months, then I can only imagine what might happen in the next twelve: a nocturnal dialysis regime, a new job, finishing my Masters, finishing my book and generally just trying to be really, really happy....letting my family and friends know how much I love and value them, and trying to make an impact on this world in some small way.

That is all to come. Tomorrow I shall be handing in my essay, going to therapy and maybe getting drunk with Ellie - nothing too spectacular. Come Saturday, however, and I shall put to the test my new-found capacity to enjoy myself. Drinks in the garden, dancing in the club and friends all around me. Happiness. I can't wait. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Postscript

You wouldn't believe where I am. You could guess, if you've seen the gratuitous images of my self-satisfied gurning face in front of an infinity pool on Facebook...otherwise you might find it hard to imagine the paradise in which I currently find myself. I am in Dubai. Bar Abby Clancey and the cast of TOWIE, is is not everyone's idea of paradise - it actually wasn't mine. It is exciting, exotic and fucking hot, but the skyscrapers and traffic, the desert and cultural  deficiency (not to mention the chavs that clutter up the Ritz Carlton these days, I mean honestly...) suggest you'd be hard-pushed to call it paradise. It is vaulted to utopian heights simply because, four-months after the transplant, I am here. My nearest and dearest suffered for seven years as I dreamily aired my wanderlust. Yet the reward of a post-transplant holiday seemed too extravagant a prize for which to yearn - wasn't a life free from dialysis enough? Wasn't having a drink when t

The nights are closing in

The final step of my home dialysis journey (bleugh, journey...sounds like I'm on The X Factor) begins on the 22nd July when Nurse Carla will arrive with a sleeping bag and, presumably, some strong coffee, and sit on my sofa all night whilst I perform my first nocturnal session. It is the dialysis equivalent of hiring a wet nurse. During a regular daytime session, nothing should go wrong unless I have lined the machine carelessly with one eye on Only Connect and consequently forgotten to connect/un-clamp/tighten something pivotal. Dermot should behave, stay quiet and not do any of his ghastly alarm-yelping. At night, however, the chances of rolling over onto the tubes and occluding the blood flow, or the needles falling out and slowly bleeding to death, are much higher, what with all the concurrent sleeping I'll be doing; when this happens Dermot senses DANGER and screams at me. Undoubtedly, my first session with Carla will be seamless; I know from experience that it is only

The phone rings Part III: The Final Chapter

Two weeks ago today, I was in surgery receiving my new kidney. The hospital kicked me out in less than a week and over the last seven days I have divided my time between the transplant clinic and my sofa, with the occasional shuffle up to Sainsbury's to ensure the muscles in my legs don't atrophy. I've had the pleasure of a steady stream of visitors, all of whom have bought me yet more wonderful and totally unnecessary gifts – I have been royally spoilt and I am stupidly grateful to all of you. The kidney itself appears to be going great guns. I was initially attending clinic on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and was committed to doing so, but the hospital are so pleased with me they are happy to start seeing me just twice a week. The pivotal result they test for is my level of creatinine, a substance that occurs naturally in the body as a result of muscle break down. The kidney filters out creatinine through the urine, therefore if there is lots present in the blood it is