Skip to main content

Card Bored

Nobody mentioned the cardboard.

What with all the excitement of starting home dialysis, and all the ominous warnings about machine spanner alarms "that will happen once in a blue moon" (and went off four times within the first month), nobody thought to tell me that within a matter of weeks I would have enough empty cardboard boxes to open my own Parcel Force franchise and that they would transform my front room into a Calcutter rubbish tip. With home dialysis, you see, first comes the plumbing, then comes the machine and once  you sort of know what you're doing and are desperate to get going, finally you get the stuff, and it all comes in fucking enormous cardboard boxes.

Check out my box
The stuff IN the boxes is crucial. There's packets of plastic tubing; dialysis filters; bicarbonate stacks; put-on packs; take-off packs; saline; needles; syringes; gauze...and every item plays it's part in the harmonious symphony that is a dialysis session. I tear through this shit: doing five sessions a week, I'll use twenty saline bags in a fortnight alone - twenty-one if I use an additional bag to provide make-shift contact lens solution for Mark when we get back to my flat rat-arsed and he's too drunk to get home. The stuff gets used, it vanishes, and all I am left with are the empty cardboard shells it came in as well as a couple of bin liners full of the packaging (don't get me started on the packaging).

I do not know what to do about the cardboard. Periodically, I stick on iPlayer and spend an evening ripping it and flattening it until either the Parks and Recreation double bill finishes or my hands are bleeding from multiple cardboard cuts; this helps minimise the space the cardboard takes up, but I cannot help noticing it is still in my front room. Sometimes I try and cram a load into the flimsy orange recycling bags Lambeth council probably just incinerate anyway, but much of it is too large to fit and I'm already putting at least two bulging bags of empty acid concentrate cartons on the pavement at the end of every week and I don't want my neighbours to think I'm running a crystal meth lab.

Not easy to explain away
So the cardboard sits there, taunting me. And every month, more boxes come. I'm going to end up like one of those hoarders whose houses become so engorged with detritus that they have to scale trash to get to the kitchen, and when they get there they have to bulldoze trash out of the way to get to the oven, and when they open the oven, trash falls out. Eventually the cardboard will reach the ceiling, and inevitably it will topple and kill me, but nobody will know I'm dead until I don't answer the door when the delivery guy arrives to GIVE ME MORE BOXES.

Maybe I'll have a bonfire and burn it all, or maybe I'll develop a taste for it. Cardboard stir fry. Cardboard bake. It's not too far removed from models who chow down on damp tissues - more filling, if anything. Really, I should just make my peace with the fact that as long as I have a dialysis machine in my bedroom, I'll have cardboard in my life; if I want to get rid of it, I'll need to think outside the boxes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Postscript

You wouldn't believe where I am. You could guess, if you've seen the gratuitous images of my self-satisfied gurning face in front of an infinity pool on Facebook...otherwise you might find it hard to imagine the paradise in which I currently find myself. I am in Dubai. Bar Abby Clancey and the cast of TOWIE, is is not everyone's idea of paradise - it actually wasn't mine. It is exciting, exotic and fucking hot, but the skyscrapers and traffic, the desert and cultural  deficiency (not to mention the chavs that clutter up the Ritz Carlton these days, I mean honestly...) suggest you'd be hard-pushed to call it paradise. It is vaulted to utopian heights simply because, four-months after the transplant, I am here. My nearest and dearest suffered for seven years as I dreamily aired my wanderlust. Yet the reward of a post-transplant holiday seemed too extravagant a prize for which to yearn - wasn't a life free from dialysis enough? Wasn't having a drink when t

The phone rings Part III: The Final Chapter

Two weeks ago today, I was in surgery receiving my new kidney. The hospital kicked me out in less than a week and over the last seven days I have divided my time between the transplant clinic and my sofa, with the occasional shuffle up to Sainsbury's to ensure the muscles in my legs don't atrophy. I've had the pleasure of a steady stream of visitors, all of whom have bought me yet more wonderful and totally unnecessary gifts – I have been royally spoilt and I am stupidly grateful to all of you. The kidney itself appears to be going great guns. I was initially attending clinic on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and was committed to doing so, but the hospital are so pleased with me they are happy to start seeing me just twice a week. The pivotal result they test for is my level of creatinine, a substance that occurs naturally in the body as a result of muscle break down. The kidney filters out creatinine through the urine, therefore if there is lots present in the blood it is

The nights are closing in

The final step of my home dialysis journey (bleugh, journey...sounds like I'm on The X Factor) begins on the 22nd July when Nurse Carla will arrive with a sleeping bag and, presumably, some strong coffee, and sit on my sofa all night whilst I perform my first nocturnal session. It is the dialysis equivalent of hiring a wet nurse. During a regular daytime session, nothing should go wrong unless I have lined the machine carelessly with one eye on Only Connect and consequently forgotten to connect/un-clamp/tighten something pivotal. Dermot should behave, stay quiet and not do any of his ghastly alarm-yelping. At night, however, the chances of rolling over onto the tubes and occluding the blood flow, or the needles falling out and slowly bleeding to death, are much higher, what with all the concurrent sleeping I'll be doing; when this happens Dermot senses DANGER and screams at me. Undoubtedly, my first session with Carla will be seamless; I know from experience that it is only