Skip to main content

Shit happens

There was I thinking home dialysis was supposed to end all the problems. Recently I've had pain in my feet that reached a crescendo yesterday, making it difficult for me to walk; it is linked to the dialysis in some way but I don't know how. NB: Googling unspecified medical conditions only makes it worse: I cried myself to sleep some time after midnight convinced I was going to end up as a cripple, living out my days in untreatable discomfort. When I woke up this morning, I couldn't bare to look at Dermot so I went and had a swim which vastly improved both the pain and my mood. I came home, spent a genial hour cleaning and tidying, ate some Snack-a-Jacks then switched Dermot on in preparation for a relaxed session during which I planned to read The Guardian and do some work.

Three hours later, having lost the fluid I'd intended to remove through crying, the emergency on-call technician was still in my bedroom, having abandoned his gardening and Thai bride and their little baby (her picture was his screen saver) to attend to the breakdown - mine and Dermot's. Usually I can just about handle all the frustration and anxiety the dialysis evokes but today I lost it; I had a total melt down and I am so grateful Mother H-B was on hand to rush round and save me, because I genuinely couldn't cope today. That hasn't happened very often.

Just as we thought we had got Dermot working, the fatal spanner light flashed for an unprecedented second time: cue another half hour of re-starting and fiddling until he was finally ready for action. I put my needles in, having removed and binned the first set hours ago and after a tentative start, Dermot has behaved himself. So far.

I don't mind niggles; they are to be expected with such a complex and technical bit of kit. But what is making me well-up, again, as I write, is the fact that I can no longer rely on this clunking great machine to work. The whole point of starting home haemo was so that I could relax, so that I could go out into the world and start participating in life again and - God forbid - maybe even enjoy myself occasionally. The caveat was that I would need to devote more time and brain power to my dialysis and undertake more frequent sessions; dialysing isn't what you might describe as enjoyable, but I had made my peace with doing this.  If I can't trust that the machine is going to work when I switch it on, or if doing a session requires an extra hour on top of the already allotted five to fix the problems, then I am basically right back where I started in terms of caution and restriction, except now I have what amounts to a noisy, useless heap of junk taking up a quarter of my bedroom.

In the eighteen years since I first developed kidney failure, I am proud of the fact I have only rarely thought that what has happened to me is unjust; shit happens to everyone and I am no more or less deserving than anyone else. And even though I am sitting here trying to convince myself that a temperamental dialysis machine, a wasted session and a ruined night out barely register on the relative Shit-o-meter, it just feels a bit...unfair. There, I've said it. I am being petulant and self-pitying, and I apologise...I am happy to live a life being reliant on a dialysis machine; all I ask is that it works.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Postscript

You wouldn't believe where I am. You could guess, if you've seen the gratuitous images of my self-satisfied gurning face in front of an infinity pool on Facebook...otherwise you might find it hard to imagine the paradise in which I currently find myself. I am in Dubai. Bar Abby Clancey and the cast of TOWIE, is is not everyone's idea of paradise - it actually wasn't mine. It is exciting, exotic and fucking hot, but the skyscrapers and traffic, the desert and cultural  deficiency (not to mention the chavs that clutter up the Ritz Carlton these days, I mean honestly...) suggest you'd be hard-pushed to call it paradise. It is vaulted to utopian heights simply because, four-months after the transplant, I am here. My nearest and dearest suffered for seven years as I dreamily aired my wanderlust. Yet the reward of a post-transplant holiday seemed too extravagant a prize for which to yearn - wasn't a life free from dialysis enough? Wasn't having a drink when t

The phone rings Part III: The Final Chapter

Two weeks ago today, I was in surgery receiving my new kidney. The hospital kicked me out in less than a week and over the last seven days I have divided my time between the transplant clinic and my sofa, with the occasional shuffle up to Sainsbury's to ensure the muscles in my legs don't atrophy. I've had the pleasure of a steady stream of visitors, all of whom have bought me yet more wonderful and totally unnecessary gifts – I have been royally spoilt and I am stupidly grateful to all of you. The kidney itself appears to be going great guns. I was initially attending clinic on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and was committed to doing so, but the hospital are so pleased with me they are happy to start seeing me just twice a week. The pivotal result they test for is my level of creatinine, a substance that occurs naturally in the body as a result of muscle break down. The kidney filters out creatinine through the urine, therefore if there is lots present in the blood it is

The nights are closing in

The final step of my home dialysis journey (bleugh, journey...sounds like I'm on The X Factor) begins on the 22nd July when Nurse Carla will arrive with a sleeping bag and, presumably, some strong coffee, and sit on my sofa all night whilst I perform my first nocturnal session. It is the dialysis equivalent of hiring a wet nurse. During a regular daytime session, nothing should go wrong unless I have lined the machine carelessly with one eye on Only Connect and consequently forgotten to connect/un-clamp/tighten something pivotal. Dermot should behave, stay quiet and not do any of his ghastly alarm-yelping. At night, however, the chances of rolling over onto the tubes and occluding the blood flow, or the needles falling out and slowly bleeding to death, are much higher, what with all the concurrent sleeping I'll be doing; when this happens Dermot senses DANGER and screams at me. Undoubtedly, my first session with Carla will be seamless; I know from experience that it is only