Skip to main content

Ibuprofen: a love letter

The problem with my feet started out as, "that's odd" but by today had become, "what the FUCK - I'm hobbling down Clapham high street, CRYING" having gradually taken on the flavour of "I really should do something about this..." over the course of the last month. Now that I was struggling to walk,  and having been deterred by the £130 it would cost me to spend an hour with the local podiatrist, I finally went to my GP today.

She was nice - like, really nice. Not "I want to lick you" nice, but some doctors are so jaded that they can barely muster the energy to listen to your complaint and mostly just advise you to make another appointment (with their colleague) if it hasn't cleared up/gone down/stopped burning in a fortnight. To be fair, most GPs find me quite exciting: end-stage renal failure is more interesting than gastroenteritis I suppose, but I wasn't even wearing my renal hat today and still the doctor was friendly, attentive and very energetic despite probably having sat through a morning's worth of ear-ache and hypercondria already. She heartily agreed with my self-Google diagnosis of inflammation of the tendons and advised rest and "suitable footwear" (I'm NOT wearing hiking boots, as suggested by a podiatrist with whom I spoke on the phone) before prescribing a great thwack of anti-inflammatory Ibuprofen, topped up with paracetamol as and when needed.

I was nervous about taking pain medication on a regular basis: I don't want to get hooked, I'm not a celebrity. Also, I'm quite...let's say slight of frame, and too much pain medication can send me a bit loopy - taking Tramadol feels like I've died and gone to heaven, and heaven is Dermot O'Leary's hot-tub. But the lovely doctor assured me I'd be fine - and she was right. I have only taken one of the giant, hot-pink tablets so far but they are marvellous. The pain has practically disappeared, and having had it for a month, this is no small achievement. I am hooked up to Dermot as I write (do one, Dermy - there's a new physiological complaint in town) but I am super stoked to stand up and get my walk ooown when this session comes to an end.

In other news: my building got burgled - which was shit - but I had doubled locked my front door - which was good. I am currently stressing about my 5,000 word case study but it is due in on my birthday so my 27th will be licence - nay, mandate - to celebrate. I am mired in job anxiety, as in: I-have-a-shit-one-and-no-money-and-I-want-a-better-one, but I have to keep reminding myself that until my essay is polished off, job-hunting will have to wait. The problem is, now that my career is no longer dictated by my dialysis regime, I am growing more and more frustrated that it is not going in the right direction and I am not very patient. I am also very poor, and bottles of St Tropez Gradual Tanning Fair to Medium don't grow on trees. However, every journey begins with a single step, and now I can take mine, pain-free.
Just to give you a bit of scale....if Infernos made pain meds

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The nights are closing in

The final step of my home dialysis journey (bleugh, journey...sounds like I'm on The X Factor) begins on the 22nd July when Nurse Carla will arrive with a sleeping bag and, presumably, some strong coffee, and sit on my sofa all night whilst I perform my first nocturnal session. It is the dialysis equivalent of hiring a wet nurse. During a regular daytime session, nothing should go wrong unless I have lined the machine carelessly with one eye on Only Connect and consequently forgotten to connect/un-clamp/tighten something pivotal. Dermot should behave, stay quiet and not do any of his ghastly alarm-yelping. At night, however, the chances of rolling over onto the tubes and occluding the blood flow, or the needles falling out and slowly bleeding to death, are much higher, what with all the concurrent sleeping I'll be doing; when this happens Dermot senses DANGER and screams at me. Undoubtedly, my first session with Carla will be seamless; I know from experience that it is only

Postscript

You wouldn't believe where I am. You could guess, if you've seen the gratuitous images of my self-satisfied gurning face in front of an infinity pool on Facebook...otherwise you might find it hard to imagine the paradise in which I currently find myself. I am in Dubai. Bar Abby Clancey and the cast of TOWIE, is is not everyone's idea of paradise - it actually wasn't mine. It is exciting, exotic and fucking hot, but the skyscrapers and traffic, the desert and cultural  deficiency (not to mention the chavs that clutter up the Ritz Carlton these days, I mean honestly...) suggest you'd be hard-pushed to call it paradise. It is vaulted to utopian heights simply because, four-months after the transplant, I am here. My nearest and dearest suffered for seven years as I dreamily aired my wanderlust. Yet the reward of a post-transplant holiday seemed too extravagant a prize for which to yearn - wasn't a life free from dialysis enough? Wasn't having a drink when t

The phone rings Part III: The Final Chapter

Two weeks ago today, I was in surgery receiving my new kidney. The hospital kicked me out in less than a week and over the last seven days I have divided my time between the transplant clinic and my sofa, with the occasional shuffle up to Sainsbury's to ensure the muscles in my legs don't atrophy. I've had the pleasure of a steady stream of visitors, all of whom have bought me yet more wonderful and totally unnecessary gifts – I have been royally spoilt and I am stupidly grateful to all of you. The kidney itself appears to be going great guns. I was initially attending clinic on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and was committed to doing so, but the hospital are so pleased with me they are happy to start seeing me just twice a week. The pivotal result they test for is my level of creatinine, a substance that occurs naturally in the body as a result of muscle break down. The kidney filters out creatinine through the urine, therefore if there is lots present in the blood it is