Skip to main content

When the chips are down

I am now in possession of the most magnificent machine. It is going to change my life. It's benefits are as yet un-told, and the sheer joy it will bring to my existence will be profound; some may argue it looks a little un-gainly, but the more I stare at it the more I perceive it as a thing of a beauty. I am forced to wonder why I did not procure one years ago.

I am talking, of course, about my brand new ice-crusher.

My fluid restriction is up there as one of the most exquisitely difficult parts of my condition to endure and I have dedicated much time and energy to finding ways to alleviate my thirst without drinking very much. When at home, or at Mark's house, because he's thoughtful like that, I crunch my way through trays of ice cubes, but carrying ice cubes around with me has impractical implications for the world at large. Taking small sips of water can help, but sometimes when fluid hits my tongue it triggers some sort of thirst-induced mania and I can't help myself: before I know it I've downed half a bottle of Evian and am reeling from the guilt. Eating fruit provides some relief but there are potassium implications to eating 769 fridge-cold plums in an afternoon.

Isn't she a beaut?
By a country mile, I have found the most effective cure for chronic thirst to be cups of ice-chips. Cold, refreshing and handily low in fluid content, I was introduced to them at the hospital - they were really the only benefit of attending dialysis, along with the free biscuits, and the fact that dialysis keeps me alive, but mainly I went for the ice chips. Once, they were doled out by the nurses and assorted immigrant tea-ladies with relish...but then the dark days came. We moved en masse from the shabby yet familiar settings of the Bostock unit to the brand-new swanky facility down the road, and whilst there might have been more space, cleaner floors and a TV for each chair, THERE WAS NO ICE MACHINE. I think I cried a bit when they told me. Then I was forced to lap up my own tears because I was so thirsty.

For the last seven months I have been chip-less, but I am deprived no more. Let the bells ring out on this snowy Saturday in March, for I have ice-chips once again. I bought my very own ice-crusher last week on a whim,  but the fear that its slightly less than sturdy looking plastic handle would do little but gently bruise my ice cubes meant it has remained in its wrapping until this morning when I finally decided it was time to take it for an inaugural spin. After a hesitant start, I soon had half an inch of ice-crystals, gleaming like diamonds in a glass. Though not quite on a par with the soft, smooth chips that are produced by the industrial machines at the hospital, mine were wonderfully refreshing and took me right back to those giddy, halcyon days when I was stuck in hospital with a failing kidney and my fluid intake was restricted to less than a bottle of water a day. Aah, memories. I can now gaze into the future and look forward to many more cups of beautiful, thirst-quenching ice-chips and the happiness they will bring.

In other news, I also have a dialysis machine in my bedroom.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The nights are closing in

The final step of my home dialysis journey (bleugh, journey...sounds like I'm on The X Factor) begins on the 22nd July when Nurse Carla will arrive with a sleeping bag and, presumably, some strong coffee, and sit on my sofa all night whilst I perform my first nocturnal session. It is the dialysis equivalent of hiring a wet nurse. During a regular daytime session, nothing should go wrong unless I have lined the machine carelessly with one eye on Only Connect and consequently forgotten to connect/un-clamp/tighten something pivotal. Dermot should behave, stay quiet and not do any of his ghastly alarm-yelping. At night, however, the chances of rolling over onto the tubes and occluding the blood flow, or the needles falling out and slowly bleeding to death, are much higher, what with all the concurrent sleeping I'll be doing; when this happens Dermot senses DANGER and screams at me. Undoubtedly, my first session with Carla will be seamless; I know from experience that it is only

Postscript

You wouldn't believe where I am. You could guess, if you've seen the gratuitous images of my self-satisfied gurning face in front of an infinity pool on Facebook...otherwise you might find it hard to imagine the paradise in which I currently find myself. I am in Dubai. Bar Abby Clancey and the cast of TOWIE, is is not everyone's idea of paradise - it actually wasn't mine. It is exciting, exotic and fucking hot, but the skyscrapers and traffic, the desert and cultural  deficiency (not to mention the chavs that clutter up the Ritz Carlton these days, I mean honestly...) suggest you'd be hard-pushed to call it paradise. It is vaulted to utopian heights simply because, four-months after the transplant, I am here. My nearest and dearest suffered for seven years as I dreamily aired my wanderlust. Yet the reward of a post-transplant holiday seemed too extravagant a prize for which to yearn - wasn't a life free from dialysis enough? Wasn't having a drink when t

The phone rings Part III: The Final Chapter

Two weeks ago today, I was in surgery receiving my new kidney. The hospital kicked me out in less than a week and over the last seven days I have divided my time between the transplant clinic and my sofa, with the occasional shuffle up to Sainsbury's to ensure the muscles in my legs don't atrophy. I've had the pleasure of a steady stream of visitors, all of whom have bought me yet more wonderful and totally unnecessary gifts – I have been royally spoilt and I am stupidly grateful to all of you. The kidney itself appears to be going great guns. I was initially attending clinic on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and was committed to doing so, but the hospital are so pleased with me they are happy to start seeing me just twice a week. The pivotal result they test for is my level of creatinine, a substance that occurs naturally in the body as a result of muscle break down. The kidney filters out creatinine through the urine, therefore if there is lots present in the blood it is