Skip to main content

The Business They Call Show


Ever since I was little (i.e. three centimetres littler than I am now) I have harboured a secret desire to be an actress. Having a job that involves kissing good looking men, wearing exotic clothes and earning a kerjilion pounds for pretending to be a nun / socialite / Virginia Wolfe for a few months seems like a pretty sweet deal to me. Unfortunately I am a touch too short and a shade too ugly to grace the silver screen, but this has just made it all the more exciting that in the last few months, my dream has come true.

I am currently starring in my own one-woman show, entitled, “Home Dialysis is Amazing and the Answer to All My Problems”. If you missed my star (yet brief) turn as Dulcie in Cranbrook Grammar School’s 2003 production of “The Boyfriend” you might not be aware of my acting prowess, but my performance in “Dialysis….” has surely provided ample evidence that I am an excellent actress, on a par with all the greats: Streep, Mirren, Dench, Lohan. Not to blow my own horn, but I believe I have succeeded in convincing all around me that starting home dialysis (HD) will be the greatest thing to happen to me since I had my train tracks removed. I have even managed to convince myself.

Behind the scenes, a slightly different narrative has been playing out. Embarking on my home dialysis journey has been overwhelming. I had undertaken a fair amount of my own care before I started my official training, so I arrived in the training unit as the cocky ingĂ©nue, confident that I would be in and out within weeks having perfected the fine art of dialysis so expertly they would have to change the name to Rosyalysis. But this was not quite how it panned out. There has been so much to learn, far more than I had envisaged: a different machine to line and prep, and to strip down and clean at the end of treatment; a new set of needles to use (the new needles are oxymoronically blunt) which require a new technique for their insertion in addition to new spots on my arm into which to thrust them. I have been re-started on iron infusions after a year and a half, so I have had to learn how to administer those, and have started taking my own blood sample for the monthly checks. I am also undergoing regular quizzes, kidney failures own version of your driving theory test, on how the machine works and what to do if things go wrong. The likelihood is that if something goes wrong with the machine it will happen whilst I am attached to it and a large percentage of my blood will be spinning around the tubing; the hospital want to be happy that I am able to rectify the problem one-handed instead of melting down and inadvertently killing myself. The nurses are incredibly lovely and very supportive, but I am so desperate to get home that I am putting a fair amount of pressure on myself – you should hear what I call myself when I make a mistake. I can be brutal.

The gap between the idea of HD and it's reality is the distance from my sofa to Mexico. As much as I hate going to the hospital, I had underestimated the benefit of having a nurse ten feet away to help with the inevitable, "hilarious", dialysis mishaps. In just over a month’s time, it will just be me and the machine, the needles and my icky, toxin-filled blood - if things fuck up it will potentially be quite dangerous, and definitely all my own fault. I have never faced anything as daunting in my whole life. I feel like such a pussy.

The other issue has been admitting, finally, that I am a dialysis patient. This might not be as much of a surprise to you as it has been to me, but it has come as a massive shock. Going to the unit; relying on the nurses; leaving dialysis at the hospital door: by dialysing in this way I have been able to keep Hospital Rosy and Real Life Rosy separate and live in cosseting denial. Now I only need to walk into my bedroom to know for certain that I am on dialysis: the builders came, and I am now the proud owner of a carbon stack, whatever the hell that is, a sink, a fluoro light and a 5 x 5 wooden platform on which the machine will sit. My spare room has also undergone a makeover, dialysis-style: there is a small mountain of boxes housing everything from saline to needles in addition to 2 extraordinarily heavy bags of salt that I can neither move nor figure out what to do with (something else to learn). I have been told repeatedly that HD will soon become second nature...but therein lies the rub. I don’t actually want to plunge needles into my arm and hook myself up to a machine and call it my second anything. There are plenty of things I enjoy doing in my bedroom, and none of them are dialysis. But sucks to me, I guess, and I need to shut up and put up because this is who I am and it could be a whole lot worse.

Moan over. Instead of bitching about it I need to focus on all the benefits HD will surely bring into my life. I won’t be starting nocturnal treatment for at least three months, but even though I will continue on with my current regime plus two extra sessions on the weekend, it will free up my time and my energy and at least take the edge off the ghastly fluid and diet restrictions. Whilst everything is still unfamiliar and likely to leak blood onto my bedsheets, it is inevitable that there will be times at which this whole thing feels like yet another of my knee-jerk and ultimately stupid decisions. I am shit-scared and relying on the fact that things usually just kind of…work out…somehow…to reassure myself that I will be able to do it when the time comes. The show, after all, must go on.
A delivery for a month...
...and some more


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Postscript

You wouldn't believe where I am. You could guess, if you've seen the gratuitous images of my self-satisfied gurning face in front of an infinity pool on Facebook...otherwise you might find it hard to imagine the paradise in which I currently find myself. I am in Dubai. Bar Abby Clancey and the cast of TOWIE, is is not everyone's idea of paradise - it actually wasn't mine. It is exciting, exotic and fucking hot, but the skyscrapers and traffic, the desert and cultural  deficiency (not to mention the chavs that clutter up the Ritz Carlton these days, I mean honestly...) suggest you'd be hard-pushed to call it paradise. It is vaulted to utopian heights simply because, four-months after the transplant, I am here. My nearest and dearest suffered for seven years as I dreamily aired my wanderlust. Yet the reward of a post-transplant holiday seemed too extravagant a prize for which to yearn - wasn't a life free from dialysis enough? Wasn't having a drink when t

The phone rings Part III: The Final Chapter

Two weeks ago today, I was in surgery receiving my new kidney. The hospital kicked me out in less than a week and over the last seven days I have divided my time between the transplant clinic and my sofa, with the occasional shuffle up to Sainsbury's to ensure the muscles in my legs don't atrophy. I've had the pleasure of a steady stream of visitors, all of whom have bought me yet more wonderful and totally unnecessary gifts – I have been royally spoilt and I am stupidly grateful to all of you. The kidney itself appears to be going great guns. I was initially attending clinic on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and was committed to doing so, but the hospital are so pleased with me they are happy to start seeing me just twice a week. The pivotal result they test for is my level of creatinine, a substance that occurs naturally in the body as a result of muscle break down. The kidney filters out creatinine through the urine, therefore if there is lots present in the blood it is

The nights are closing in

The final step of my home dialysis journey (bleugh, journey...sounds like I'm on The X Factor) begins on the 22nd July when Nurse Carla will arrive with a sleeping bag and, presumably, some strong coffee, and sit on my sofa all night whilst I perform my first nocturnal session. It is the dialysis equivalent of hiring a wet nurse. During a regular daytime session, nothing should go wrong unless I have lined the machine carelessly with one eye on Only Connect and consequently forgotten to connect/un-clamp/tighten something pivotal. Dermot should behave, stay quiet and not do any of his ghastly alarm-yelping. At night, however, the chances of rolling over onto the tubes and occluding the blood flow, or the needles falling out and slowly bleeding to death, are much higher, what with all the concurrent sleeping I'll be doing; when this happens Dermot senses DANGER and screams at me. Undoubtedly, my first session with Carla will be seamless; I know from experience that it is only