Skip to main content

The Joy of Joy

Forget being the season to be jolly - apparently November through to January is the season for getting engaged. I have run out of fingers on which to count how many friends have recently announced their betrothal, although this figure is bolstered by people on Facebook I was at school with and haven't spoken to in seven years. They all count, ok?

It is not surprising; Christmas fosters sentimentality and in the bleak, grey, January days that limp in its wake there is nothing like the prospect of a wedding to cheer the soul. My friends and I, now that we are waving goodbye to our mid-twenties, are also of age for this sort of thing: careers have been forged and homes made, so now it is time to get married and in a few years will shall no doubt be welcoming the first wave of babies, sticky, noisy little things that they are.

The surprise has been my own reaction, for I have felt...happy. I have taken delight in every Facebook status, every text, every surprise birthday party that turned out to be a surprise engagement party (congratulations Rachel and bonus points for asking me to be a bridesmaid). I admit, I probably shouldn't be surprised by this, for the normal and natural reaction upon being told one's dear friend is due to be married is HAPPINESS, elation-by-proxy. But it is not always so straight-forward when your own life is in something of a state of disarray. Taking pleasure in other peoples' happiness when your own feels precarious is a skill, but it is a vital one. There is no worse role to assume than the bitter singleton on the balcony whilst everyone else admires the ring in the kitche, chain smoking and muttering darkly, "I give it three years" into a glass of (strong) JD and coke. I hate that girl, I do not want to ever become that girl but I have to admit, as kidney failure has eroded me over the last year, I have had moments of fear that I could become that girl. My friends sometimes all seem to be on an upward trajectory - better jobs, better flats, better boyfriends - whilst I am prone to feeling as though I am languishing, going nowhere fast. It is all too, too easy to start to resent, start to seethe, to start to wish bad things for other people rather than just similarly good things for oneself. I have had dark periods, but I have always been greatly relieved to find that when I crawl back into the light I still only want the best for those I love, and even more relieved that I can still find joy in their joy.

I may have lost my kidney function, some boyfriends, some careers and, on occasion, my sense of humour, but my humanity, thank O'Leary, has just about remained in-tact. In addition, I have discovered that when your own life is on the skids, the pleasure one can experience vicariously actually becomes more acute, more...pure. The knowledge that you cannot have it for yourself - not yet, anyway - forces you to genuinely, totally, relish someone else's happiness without agenda. How fucking sanctimonious I must sound...and it is not as though I don't still hope for marriage, babies and the whole kaboodle for myself at some point in the future (I just hope there is a market for a slightly damaged, 5 foot ginger with some parts missing). I also know that my friends will take just as much delight in a dialysis machine being plumbed into my bedroom as I have in their upcoming nuptuals, and it is said machine that will allow me to get drunk at their receptions and make a show of myself on the dance floor. Perhaps, in the end, there's something in it for all of us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Postscript

You wouldn't believe where I am. You could guess, if you've seen the gratuitous images of my self-satisfied gurning face in front of an infinity pool on Facebook...otherwise you might find it hard to imagine the paradise in which I currently find myself. I am in Dubai. Bar Abby Clancey and the cast of TOWIE, is is not everyone's idea of paradise - it actually wasn't mine. It is exciting, exotic and fucking hot, but the skyscrapers and traffic, the desert and cultural  deficiency (not to mention the chavs that clutter up the Ritz Carlton these days, I mean honestly...) suggest you'd be hard-pushed to call it paradise. It is vaulted to utopian heights simply because, four-months after the transplant, I am here. My nearest and dearest suffered for seven years as I dreamily aired my wanderlust. Yet the reward of a post-transplant holiday seemed too extravagant a prize for which to yearn - wasn't a life free from dialysis enough? Wasn't having a drink when t

The phone rings Part III: The Final Chapter

Two weeks ago today, I was in surgery receiving my new kidney. The hospital kicked me out in less than a week and over the last seven days I have divided my time between the transplant clinic and my sofa, with the occasional shuffle up to Sainsbury's to ensure the muscles in my legs don't atrophy. I've had the pleasure of a steady stream of visitors, all of whom have bought me yet more wonderful and totally unnecessary gifts – I have been royally spoilt and I am stupidly grateful to all of you. The kidney itself appears to be going great guns. I was initially attending clinic on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and was committed to doing so, but the hospital are so pleased with me they are happy to start seeing me just twice a week. The pivotal result they test for is my level of creatinine, a substance that occurs naturally in the body as a result of muscle break down. The kidney filters out creatinine through the urine, therefore if there is lots present in the blood it is

The nights are closing in

The final step of my home dialysis journey (bleugh, journey...sounds like I'm on The X Factor) begins on the 22nd July when Nurse Carla will arrive with a sleeping bag and, presumably, some strong coffee, and sit on my sofa all night whilst I perform my first nocturnal session. It is the dialysis equivalent of hiring a wet nurse. During a regular daytime session, nothing should go wrong unless I have lined the machine carelessly with one eye on Only Connect and consequently forgotten to connect/un-clamp/tighten something pivotal. Dermot should behave, stay quiet and not do any of his ghastly alarm-yelping. At night, however, the chances of rolling over onto the tubes and occluding the blood flow, or the needles falling out and slowly bleeding to death, are much higher, what with all the concurrent sleeping I'll be doing; when this happens Dermot senses DANGER and screams at me. Undoubtedly, my first session with Carla will be seamless; I know from experience that it is only