Skip to main content

Homecoming

Here are some Things That Scare Me:

1. Being eaten by a crocodile
2. Tea
3. Needles
4. The witch I saw in a dream twenty years-ago
5. Burglars
6. Paranormal Activity

To mind my, all perfectly normal, rational things of which to be scared. But here is another list:

Things of which I shouldn't be scared, and wasn't until recently, but that now freak the bejeezus out of me:

1. Moving house
2. Home dialysis

Regular readers will know that Home Dialysis has represented a shining beacon of hope for me these last few months and I would have chewed my arm off (the right one - I need my left arm for all the dialysis) for the chance to perform my own treatment at home. Well....it looks like it might finally be happening. I have had an offer accepted on a dialysis-machine friendly flat, and as long as the landlord doesn't bend me over and take me from behind in the next couple of days, I should be moving in within a week or so. I start my formal home dialysis training at the end of January, although I already have mastered most of the process so it shouldn't be too much longer before my friendly local dialysis technicians (whose names are David Gandy and John Barnes, which NOBODY else at hospital seems to find funny) pop round for a cuppa and a spot of dialysis machine installation.

In all the hulla-balloo of finding and securing a flat, I had not even stopped to think about the reality of actually undertaking my much-longed for home dialysis. Now that it is, hopefully, only weeks away, fantasies of a fridge packed with Diet Coke and a Friday night in a bar instead of half-comatose on my sofa have given way to the realisation that I shall have to have dialysis every day. Eventually, I shall start a nocturnal regime which equates to six hours of gentle dialysis six nights a week; but this, I recently learnt, is black belt dialysis. For a novice such as myself, the hospital insist on my maintaining a daytime regime until I am comfortable and proficient enough to hook up at bedtime without inadvertently killing myself. Either way, I shall still have to needle myself every day and these first few months are going to involve some long and lonely sessions hooked up to the machine with just Bear and my echoing flat for company.

Away from the dialysis side of things, the new flat is in Clapham which means leaving my beloved North London and all that sail within her. I'm incredibly lucky to have some friends and family south of the river, and having lived in Clapham once before it is not totally foreign, but I have established a life in Islington, I love it, and I shall be so sad to say goodbye to both the borough and all my friends who live here. The thought of leaving Maisy to go and live by myself is...well, after bursting into tears once already this evening, we have decided not to think about it until the removal van is parked outside.

I am scared. I am really, really, really scared. My illness has engendered great swells of fear in me in the past, but there is not really a lot you can do about your haemaglobin falling life-threateningly low, or a two-week spell of insomnia, apart from prostrate yourself before medical professionals and hope for the best. I have chosen home dialysis, I have demanded it, so I only have myself to blame. Yet it is only as HD approaches that I am beginning to see what it truly looks like and the fear is compounded by the knowledge that I could back out if I really wanted, for its not yet too late....

...except, as terrified as I am, fear is not a reason not to do it. In fact it is the most ridiculous reason for not doing something, apart, perhaps, from jumping into a crocodile-infested lake, but surely common sense would kick in before the fear. Yes, I am frightened, but I am more frightened of living any more time than is absolutely necessary in the way I am now. As I right, on a Sunday night, I am once again fluid overloaded despite barely having eaten or drunk anything and feeling the tremendous discomfort of being full to bursting with toxins. By tomorrow I shall feel worse, but will still have to go to work (I have digits I didn't even know I had crossed for a snow day). Anything is better than not having to go through this every week, to not being able to drink when I am thirsty, to being scared of food because it poisons me, to missing out on a social life, on relationships, or a career. The only combatant to fear is hope and I remain steadfast in my belief that as hard as home dialysis might be, it cannot be worse than what is happening now. Or being eaten by a crocodile. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The nights are closing in

The final step of my home dialysis journey (bleugh, journey...sounds like I'm on The X Factor) begins on the 22nd July when Nurse Carla will arrive with a sleeping bag and, presumably, some strong coffee, and sit on my sofa all night whilst I perform my first nocturnal session. It is the dialysis equivalent of hiring a wet nurse. During a regular daytime session, nothing should go wrong unless I have lined the machine carelessly with one eye on Only Connect and consequently forgotten to connect/un-clamp/tighten something pivotal. Dermot should behave, stay quiet and not do any of his ghastly alarm-yelping. At night, however, the chances of rolling over onto the tubes and occluding the blood flow, or the needles falling out and slowly bleeding to death, are much higher, what with all the concurrent sleeping I'll be doing; when this happens Dermot senses DANGER and screams at me. Undoubtedly, my first session with Carla will be seamless; I know from experience that it is only

Postscript

You wouldn't believe where I am. You could guess, if you've seen the gratuitous images of my self-satisfied gurning face in front of an infinity pool on Facebook...otherwise you might find it hard to imagine the paradise in which I currently find myself. I am in Dubai. Bar Abby Clancey and the cast of TOWIE, is is not everyone's idea of paradise - it actually wasn't mine. It is exciting, exotic and fucking hot, but the skyscrapers and traffic, the desert and cultural  deficiency (not to mention the chavs that clutter up the Ritz Carlton these days, I mean honestly...) suggest you'd be hard-pushed to call it paradise. It is vaulted to utopian heights simply because, four-months after the transplant, I am here. My nearest and dearest suffered for seven years as I dreamily aired my wanderlust. Yet the reward of a post-transplant holiday seemed too extravagant a prize for which to yearn - wasn't a life free from dialysis enough? Wasn't having a drink when t

The phone rings Part III: The Final Chapter

Two weeks ago today, I was in surgery receiving my new kidney. The hospital kicked me out in less than a week and over the last seven days I have divided my time between the transplant clinic and my sofa, with the occasional shuffle up to Sainsbury's to ensure the muscles in my legs don't atrophy. I've had the pleasure of a steady stream of visitors, all of whom have bought me yet more wonderful and totally unnecessary gifts – I have been royally spoilt and I am stupidly grateful to all of you. The kidney itself appears to be going great guns. I was initially attending clinic on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and was committed to doing so, but the hospital are so pleased with me they are happy to start seeing me just twice a week. The pivotal result they test for is my level of creatinine, a substance that occurs naturally in the body as a result of muscle break down. The kidney filters out creatinine through the urine, therefore if there is lots present in the blood it is