Skip to main content

Money money money

Another day, another dialysis session and yet another sterling BBC3 documentary on iPlayer. No-one was eating junk food or recounting their SAS days, admittedly, but it was incredibly thought-provoking nonetheless and it left me feeling reflective. And pretty terrified.

The program was about young people who are "secretly" homelessness: unable to live at home for whatever reason, they are sleeping on friends' sofas or in hostels, only one perilous step away from being on the streets. No permanent address = no job; no job = no income, and no income means no money to pay rent for that pivotal proof of residency, so it is a vicious cycle.

My terror did not devolve from the thought that it could be me. The reality is I am unlikely ever to find myself in that situation. I have good relations with all my family, and I know they would put me up were I in need of a bed. I am well educated and have experience in the work place, and whilst the job market is volatile, I work in a sector that enjoys relative security and recruits pretty much continuously (the kids won't teach themselves how to glue macaroni). But the documentary jack-hammered upon a nerve. One poor lad had been working as a roofer before he developed a medical condition that meant he had to stop. He required an operation, but without a permanent dwelling the surgeons were reluctant to go ahead for fear he would have nowhere suitable in which to recover. He ended up sleeping in a park.

My health was the death knell for my own burgeoning career. I was forced to give up my very first proper adult job at a PR agency as I descended back into kidney failure, and when I emerged on the other side I was so shocked and exhausted by my new dialysis regime that I only went back sporadically for a few months before stopping altogether. It is something I regret to this day, but it seemed like the right decision at the time and it was only feasible because of one person: my Dad.

Without my Dad's financial support, I don't know where I would be now. Not in London, almost certainly; not living in a nice house with Maisy. Not a day goes by when I do not offer up my silent thanks that my Dad can help me pay my rent and bills, and is now also paying for me to do a Masters degree so I can catch up with my friends and get myself sorted with a proper career. Most days, I thank him out loud as well. Watching these young people struggle so horrendously rammed home to me just how lucky I am; it also made me wonder about all those other unfortunate souls for whom illness curtails their job and forces them into austerity. It is enough, after all, to have to contend with the onset of illness without having to worry about how you're going to pay your electricity bill.

I am so very glad I have been able to go back to work - even if it is just a part-time job, even if I do moan about it incessantly. I am a little bit proud that I earn my own money. But I am not yet in a position to be able to entirely support myself, so more than anything I am supremely thankful to have a father who is willing - and able - to help me out. Of course, I feel guilty and useless and scrounging too, and the only way I can justify my position is with the knowledge that one day I shall be completely financially independent and it will be me bank-rolling my parents. Until I get there, I have a roof over my head, my family around me and change in my pocket for snacks from M&S. To try and claim I need any more than that is balls-out ludicrous.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Postscript

You wouldn't believe where I am. You could guess, if you've seen the gratuitous images of my self-satisfied gurning face in front of an infinity pool on Facebook...otherwise you might find it hard to imagine the paradise in which I currently find myself. I am in Dubai. Bar Abby Clancey and the cast of TOWIE, is is not everyone's idea of paradise - it actually wasn't mine. It is exciting, exotic and fucking hot, but the skyscrapers and traffic, the desert and cultural  deficiency (not to mention the chavs that clutter up the Ritz Carlton these days, I mean honestly...) suggest you'd be hard-pushed to call it paradise. It is vaulted to utopian heights simply because, four-months after the transplant, I am here. My nearest and dearest suffered for seven years as I dreamily aired my wanderlust. Yet the reward of a post-transplant holiday seemed too extravagant a prize for which to yearn - wasn't a life free from dialysis enough? Wasn't having a drink when t

Dying to donate?

"Sooo...if you stopped dialysis, how long would it take you to die?" Katie asked me over juice and Bourbons yesterday. It sounds like a morbid topic of conversation for a sunny Thursday afternoon, but fortunately it is not something I am squeamish about. Unfortunately, for 5 renal failure patients a day, this disease proves fatal, but the extreme potential of kidney failure is something I came to terms with a long time ago; yes, I might die from kidney failure, but you might get hit by a bus tomorrow. And then maybe I'd get your kidney. Katie's blunt question came as part of a larger discussion we were having about the general societal attitude towards donation. The fact that only around 25% of the population are currently willing to donate their organs suggests that most people have a very negative perception of the process - if only this were true. Whilst there are those who do have a strong moral, physical or religious objection to donating (and have a clear and

The phone rings Part III: The Final Chapter

Two weeks ago today, I was in surgery receiving my new kidney. The hospital kicked me out in less than a week and over the last seven days I have divided my time between the transplant clinic and my sofa, with the occasional shuffle up to Sainsbury's to ensure the muscles in my legs don't atrophy. I've had the pleasure of a steady stream of visitors, all of whom have bought me yet more wonderful and totally unnecessary gifts – I have been royally spoilt and I am stupidly grateful to all of you. The kidney itself appears to be going great guns. I was initially attending clinic on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and was committed to doing so, but the hospital are so pleased with me they are happy to start seeing me just twice a week. The pivotal result they test for is my level of creatinine, a substance that occurs naturally in the body as a result of muscle break down. The kidney filters out creatinine through the urine, therefore if there is lots present in the blood it is