Skip to main content

God knows...God knows I want to Bake free



It turns out that hopelessly pining away for an operation that may or may not come or work is less fun than it sounds, which is an interesting development because a few weeks ago it sounded totally rad. But hey ho, on we go in the shadow of the Transplant That Never Was, and I have decided it is time to get myself a Thing. Henceforth, my Thing is going to be what I Do, because what with the pining and the self-pity shelved I’m going to have some free time on my hands. To Do my Thing. Which, after a careful elimination process, I have decided is going to be Baking.

Baking is the lonely girl’s fetish. It is an activity that requires no additional human support thus making it ideal for me because all the additional humans in my life actually have social lives that involve leaving the house. Baking has the extra benefit of producing (theoretically) edible treats which you can trade with aforementioned others in return for their friendship. Everyone gets a brownie, everybody wins.

My Baking was kick-started by a book called Edible Gifts that I almost bought for Hannah, my brother’s insanely wonderful girlfriend, but then bought as a ludicrously extravagant birthday gift for myself (a book! That isn’t on my Masters reading list! And that cost £12.99!). My intention was to start giving friends and family parcels of perishables in lieu of stuff they actually wanted because I thought it would be a bit twee and a bit sweet and marginally less stressful than trying to guess taste or dress size or cultural preferences. My first foray into gifting food was a batch of shortbread that came out astonishingly well - “Better than shop bought,” was Maisy’s pronouncement. Unfortunately the wheels came off when it came to giving the shortbread away: it had been destined for my friend Clare, but we had to re-schedule dinner at the last minute, so most of it was surreptitiously eaten by Maisy and myself over the course of a week. I am now of course too scared to make it again for fear it was beginners’ luck.

Edible Gifts provides a range of ideas, not all of them baked (look forward to your mulled wine muslin pouches this Yuletide suckers) but Baking is where it’s at for the LG. It was a gateway book: I have succumbed to the BBC Good Food website and when I need a fix I turn to an excellent blog I “found” (I Googled cake blogs) called Let Her Bake Cake and now I spend an alarming portion of my day dreaming up my next crumbly endeavour. Oh yes, I am that pathetic.

Cakes, bakes and muffins also happen to be relatively potassium/phosphate friendly as long as they’re not plied with nuts or chocolate or spinach. This is particularly welcome news after last week’s phone call from the Hospital dietician telling me that my potassium was 6.5 and I had to STOP EATING BRAN FLAKES RIGHT NOW if I didn’t want to have a heart attack, which I don’t really, and has put me back in mind of the strict renal diet I should be following – and not a moment too soon, if Clare gets her way. When I finally made it round for a joyous dinner on Wednesday with Mark (she got flapjack mix because I was short of time and a working oven) Clare suggested I write a recipe book for dialysis patients. In the course of her research for the evening’s menu - delicious paella, no prawns, no tomatoes - she had been dismayed by the dearth of meal plans for the renally challenged. Cue half an hour of title suggestions (Rosy’s Renal Recipes; Cooking without Kidneys; Kid-Ney Nuts!) and a discussion about how to circumnavigate my inability to cook… but baking, you see – that’s going to be my Thing. As long as fellow patients don’t object to claffoutis for breakfast and brioche for dinner I feel sure it will be a hit. Give a Lonely Girl a palette knife and she can rule the

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Postscript

You wouldn't believe where I am. You could guess, if you've seen the gratuitous images of my self-satisfied gurning face in front of an infinity pool on Facebook...otherwise you might find it hard to imagine the paradise in which I currently find myself. I am in Dubai. Bar Abby Clancey and the cast of TOWIE, is is not everyone's idea of paradise - it actually wasn't mine. It is exciting, exotic and fucking hot, but the skyscrapers and traffic, the desert and cultural  deficiency (not to mention the chavs that clutter up the Ritz Carlton these days, I mean honestly...) suggest you'd be hard-pushed to call it paradise. It is vaulted to utopian heights simply because, four-months after the transplant, I am here. My nearest and dearest suffered for seven years as I dreamily aired my wanderlust. Yet the reward of a post-transplant holiday seemed too extravagant a prize for which to yearn - wasn't a life free from dialysis enough? Wasn't having a drink when t

The phone rings Part III: The Final Chapter

Two weeks ago today, I was in surgery receiving my new kidney. The hospital kicked me out in less than a week and over the last seven days I have divided my time between the transplant clinic and my sofa, with the occasional shuffle up to Sainsbury's to ensure the muscles in my legs don't atrophy. I've had the pleasure of a steady stream of visitors, all of whom have bought me yet more wonderful and totally unnecessary gifts – I have been royally spoilt and I am stupidly grateful to all of you. The kidney itself appears to be going great guns. I was initially attending clinic on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and was committed to doing so, but the hospital are so pleased with me they are happy to start seeing me just twice a week. The pivotal result they test for is my level of creatinine, a substance that occurs naturally in the body as a result of muscle break down. The kidney filters out creatinine through the urine, therefore if there is lots present in the blood it is

The nights are closing in

The final step of my home dialysis journey (bleugh, journey...sounds like I'm on The X Factor) begins on the 22nd July when Nurse Carla will arrive with a sleeping bag and, presumably, some strong coffee, and sit on my sofa all night whilst I perform my first nocturnal session. It is the dialysis equivalent of hiring a wet nurse. During a regular daytime session, nothing should go wrong unless I have lined the machine carelessly with one eye on Only Connect and consequently forgotten to connect/un-clamp/tighten something pivotal. Dermot should behave, stay quiet and not do any of his ghastly alarm-yelping. At night, however, the chances of rolling over onto the tubes and occluding the blood flow, or the needles falling out and slowly bleeding to death, are much higher, what with all the concurrent sleeping I'll be doing; when this happens Dermot senses DANGER and screams at me. Undoubtedly, my first session with Carla will be seamless; I know from experience that it is only