Skip to main content

Those pesky kids

Yesterday, I had proof – if ever it was needed – that I am not as smart as a five year-old. Despite my painstaking attempts to conceal my fistula with a series of carefully orchestrated (and may I say, sartorially impressive) ensembles, the kiddies at school found it.

Friday marked the end of my second week in my new job as a teaching assistant in a primary school in East London and so far, so wonderful. I go in five mornings a week and work one-on-one with T, an adorable little girl with Down Syndrome, though my purview extends to helping out with the other children as and when needed. Despite their seemingly endless wails of, “Rwwooooosy, he said he wouldn’t be friends with me/play with me/that I was a baby…”, the kiddies are a joy to be around: they are bright, funny and curious. They particularly enjoy being near me; any qualms one might have about invasion of personal space should be left at the door between the box of skipping ropes and the drinking fountain. They hold my hand; they stroke my legs; they climb onto my lap for a cuddle or burrow into my flank like ducklings seeking refuge from the wind. Currently, a favourite past-time is fastening and un-fastening the buckle on my trench coat, an activity for which they line up and attack with glee and I let them, 1) because it is enhancing their fine motor skills and 2) because the coat was 10% off from…ahem…Jane Norman.

It was only a matter of time before my tactile little rascals chanced upon my fistula. I should have known it was going to happen when, after a few days, some of them prodded my collar-bone where my neck-line scars lie and demanded, “What’s that?”. I put on my best when-mummy-and-daddies-love-each-other-very-much voice and gently relayed that I had been sick and had to have an operation but it had made me all better. Technically, this is not so much a half-truth as a full-blown lie but I’m fairly sure part of my job description is not to give them nightmares, so I left out the part about the tube hanging out of my chest. Fortunately, my lame explanation appeased them and they skipped off merrily to colour something in.

However, I’m not sure such vagueness is going to fly now they have found the pulsating lump in my left arm. They are rapidly becoming obsessed with it. Three of them discovered it in the playground yesterday and took it in turns to touch it (“Stroke it gently,” I urged nervously, with visions of the thing exploding and turning the hopscotch square into an abattoir). Then they ran off to collect more friends to come and touch it. “It tickles me!” they squealed delightedly. Then they demanded to see it (“But it’s too cold to take my coat off…”) and finally, thwarted in their efforts, they simply wanted to know what it was which is entirely understandable – some guy on the tube randomly asked me once.

Are you sitting comfortably children? Then I shall begin. Two and a half years ago, the transplanted kidney my mother donated to me ten years earlier failed, and in order to stop me DYING and I had to have an OPERATION, where the surgeons HACKED open my arm and tied an artery to a vein so that three times a week I have GIANT NEEDLES pushed into the THROBBING BULGE in my arm. Now who wants to see it? No-one?

Bless them, but during their daily twenty minutes of Literacy, the kiddies are still getting to grips with The Cat Sat On The Mat (And Saw A Rat – that was when we did rhyme last week) so perhaps a discourse on the intricacies of renal failure and dialysis is a tad inappropriate. Not to mention the fact I haven’t actually mentioned my condition to any of my colleagues and the quickest way to out myself would be to let on to a gaggle of over-stimulated five year-olds who’s idea of discretion is waiting until the teacher isn’t looking to pick their noses. Consequently, I found myself having to think on my feet as to what to tell them, and using my degree from Durham and substantial vocabulary, this is what I came up with: “I have a bump in my arm.”

The kiddies looked at me with blank expressions. Er, yes (they said with their eyes): that much we’ve gathered. I am an idiot. Everyone knows the quickest way to compound the kiddies’ interest in something is to imbue it with mystery. They know it’s a bump in my arm because they can fucking feel it a bump in my arm: what they want to know is how it came to be there. So far, I have nothing. In my previous life as a secondary teacher, my students saw right through my: I was attacked by a crocodile/Drew Barrymore’s stunt double/saving orphans from a burning building accounts. Furthermore, the warmer the weather gets, the more likely it is that I am going to be forced to wear something short sleeved unless I want to keel over or loose half a stone in perspiration. I am going to have to think of something to tell them; just enough information to sate their curiosity but nothing specific, or technical, or won’t-sleep-for-a-month gory. You can’t kid a kidder just as you can’t lie to the kiddies; being all but incapable of blurting out anything other than the unabridged truth themselves, they can smell the lies on your skin. For now, I’ll just have to keep covering it up with militarily planned outfit choices and distract them with something shiny when the questions start again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Postscript

You wouldn't believe where I am. You could guess, if you've seen the gratuitous images of my self-satisfied gurning face in front of an infinity pool on Facebook...otherwise you might find it hard to imagine the paradise in which I currently find myself. I am in Dubai. Bar Abby Clancey and the cast of TOWIE, is is not everyone's idea of paradise - it actually wasn't mine. It is exciting, exotic and fucking hot, but the skyscrapers and traffic, the desert and cultural  deficiency (not to mention the chavs that clutter up the Ritz Carlton these days, I mean honestly...) suggest you'd be hard-pushed to call it paradise. It is vaulted to utopian heights simply because, four-months after the transplant, I am here. My nearest and dearest suffered for seven years as I dreamily aired my wanderlust. Yet the reward of a post-transplant holiday seemed too extravagant a prize for which to yearn - wasn't a life free from dialysis enough? Wasn't having a drink when t

The nights are closing in

The final step of my home dialysis journey (bleugh, journey...sounds like I'm on The X Factor) begins on the 22nd July when Nurse Carla will arrive with a sleeping bag and, presumably, some strong coffee, and sit on my sofa all night whilst I perform my first nocturnal session. It is the dialysis equivalent of hiring a wet nurse. During a regular daytime session, nothing should go wrong unless I have lined the machine carelessly with one eye on Only Connect and consequently forgotten to connect/un-clamp/tighten something pivotal. Dermot should behave, stay quiet and not do any of his ghastly alarm-yelping. At night, however, the chances of rolling over onto the tubes and occluding the blood flow, or the needles falling out and slowly bleeding to death, are much higher, what with all the concurrent sleeping I'll be doing; when this happens Dermot senses DANGER and screams at me. Undoubtedly, my first session with Carla will be seamless; I know from experience that it is only

The phone rings Part III: The Final Chapter

Two weeks ago today, I was in surgery receiving my new kidney. The hospital kicked me out in less than a week and over the last seven days I have divided my time between the transplant clinic and my sofa, with the occasional shuffle up to Sainsbury's to ensure the muscles in my legs don't atrophy. I've had the pleasure of a steady stream of visitors, all of whom have bought me yet more wonderful and totally unnecessary gifts – I have been royally spoilt and I am stupidly grateful to all of you. The kidney itself appears to be going great guns. I was initially attending clinic on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and was committed to doing so, but the hospital are so pleased with me they are happy to start seeing me just twice a week. The pivotal result they test for is my level of creatinine, a substance that occurs naturally in the body as a result of muscle break down. The kidney filters out creatinine through the urine, therefore if there is lots present in the blood it is