Skip to main content

Food, glorious food...

Before I arrived for dinner at his new flat on Tuesday evening, Adam sent me a perfunctory text asking,politely, if there was anything in particular I fancied eating, by which of course he meant: you'll eat what you're given and you'll like it. I'm really not fussy, I replied... as long as it doesn't include spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, potatoes, dairy, nuts or shellfish. By which point, Adam was wishing he hadn't asked.

For those of you especially au fait with the molecular make-up of food (most of you, yes?), it will be obvious that those foods I listed are all either high in potassium or phosphate. For renal patients, these seemingly innocuous substances have the potential to be lethal because no kidneys equals no toxin excretion, which consequently causes a build up and ultimately leads to bad things, like heart attacks and crumbling bones, though hopefully not at the same time.

It is no secret that in the past I have struggled with the limitations on my diet. My lifestyle is already fairly restricted by the dialysis and the minor fluid allowance so denying the ability to comfort eat seems almost inhumane. Consequently, I tend to allow myself to eat the naughty things I know I shouldn't, and my blood levels suffer as a result. When my Consultant appears on his one of his brief and benevolent thrice yearly ward rounds, he scolds me about my soaring potassium and orders me to see the friendly Aussie dietician who duly comes later in the week, engages me in exactly the same conversation we always have, gives me yet another set of the fact sheets I have managed to loose (again), sighs wearily and leaves, until next time. Some things are just hard to give up. When I was younger and in the throes of my first bout of kidney failure, I missed milk incredibly and it is still the same now: I used to subsist on cereal at university and I still feel a pang when I arrive at the cereal aisle and end up staring longingly at the boxes of Coco Pops. I crave nuts often; prawns have been hard to fore-go and it's incredible how many things have mushrooms in it or how limiting a no tomato rule is; giving up spagetti hoops was particularly traumatic.

However, over the last few weeks, I have been trying to exert an iota of self-control, hence the long and irritating list of banned foods I had to send to Adam. My housemate Maisy has also been a victim of my culinary foibles and is now practically on a renal diet herself by virtue of the fact we live together. Up until recently, I had been loathe to ever make a fuss about my diet restrictions because it is symbolic of kidney stuff crossing over into what I consider my mainstream life, and this is something I try to avoid at all costs. I can just about manage to stop myself eating forbidden (citrus) fruits (and bananas are out too) but when my situation starts to impinge on anyone around me - even if they are just having to re-think the menu - I start to get uncomfortable.

In tandem with my brand new, healthy approach to my diet, I have decided to try and take a bit more care with regards to my general health and well-being. Firstly, I have decided to stop smoking, save for those situations where smoking really is necessitated, like when an attractive guy asks whether I fancy a cigarette. Therefore, no more fags simply because I'm walking to the tube/talking on the phone/not had one for a couple of days. Secondly, I am trying to incorporate more exercise into my everyday life. This regime started on Tuesday and I am already sick of it, two days in; it entails, basically, taking the stairs instead of the lift and walking up every escalator I encounter. I get on the tube at least twice a day, so never walk up any less than at least two escalators a day. I am hoping that by sometime next week, I might reach the top, at least once, without being a wheezing, sweating, staggering wreck. Hard to believe as it is, I am, sporadically, quite a keen runner and over the last couple of months, I have started running again. The plan is to run three times a week on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday (initially it was Sunday, but I have found I am usually too hungover to move any further than from my bed to the sofa). To give you some indication as to how the running plan is progressing, it is Thursday evening - ostensibly a running day - and I am on my sofa writing, having just consumed a Kit-Kat, a diet coke and a quarter of a tub of Betty Crocker Vanilla icing. This last admission makes me a little bit tearful.

Heeding my instructions to the letter, a slightly panicked James (Adam's boyfriend) ended up producing pasta with chicken, chorizo and pesto which was incredibly delicious and brilliantly low in potassium. Unfortunately, I didn't say a word when Adam proposed going on a chocolate run and merrily scooped fistfuls of Maltesers into my greedy little mouth without a second thought. Chocolate, of course, is riddled with BOTH potassium and phosphate. It also un-does all the benefits of the running and escalator climbing. Potentially, I am imbuing the phrase "Death by Chocolate" with a very macabre and literal meaning. But fuck it... what a way to go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Postscript

You wouldn't believe where I am. You could guess, if you've seen the gratuitous images of my self-satisfied gurning face in front of an infinity pool on Facebook...otherwise you might find it hard to imagine the paradise in which I currently find myself. I am in Dubai. Bar Abby Clancey and the cast of TOWIE, is is not everyone's idea of paradise - it actually wasn't mine. It is exciting, exotic and fucking hot, but the skyscrapers and traffic, the desert and cultural  deficiency (not to mention the chavs that clutter up the Ritz Carlton these days, I mean honestly...) suggest you'd be hard-pushed to call it paradise. It is vaulted to utopian heights simply because, four-months after the transplant, I am here. My nearest and dearest suffered for seven years as I dreamily aired my wanderlust. Yet the reward of a post-transplant holiday seemed too extravagant a prize for which to yearn - wasn't a life free from dialysis enough? Wasn't having a drink when t

The nights are closing in

The final step of my home dialysis journey (bleugh, journey...sounds like I'm on The X Factor) begins on the 22nd July when Nurse Carla will arrive with a sleeping bag and, presumably, some strong coffee, and sit on my sofa all night whilst I perform my first nocturnal session. It is the dialysis equivalent of hiring a wet nurse. During a regular daytime session, nothing should go wrong unless I have lined the machine carelessly with one eye on Only Connect and consequently forgotten to connect/un-clamp/tighten something pivotal. Dermot should behave, stay quiet and not do any of his ghastly alarm-yelping. At night, however, the chances of rolling over onto the tubes and occluding the blood flow, or the needles falling out and slowly bleeding to death, are much higher, what with all the concurrent sleeping I'll be doing; when this happens Dermot senses DANGER and screams at me. Undoubtedly, my first session with Carla will be seamless; I know from experience that it is only

The phone rings Part III: The Final Chapter

Two weeks ago today, I was in surgery receiving my new kidney. The hospital kicked me out in less than a week and over the last seven days I have divided my time between the transplant clinic and my sofa, with the occasional shuffle up to Sainsbury's to ensure the muscles in my legs don't atrophy. I've had the pleasure of a steady stream of visitors, all of whom have bought me yet more wonderful and totally unnecessary gifts – I have been royally spoilt and I am stupidly grateful to all of you. The kidney itself appears to be going great guns. I was initially attending clinic on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and was committed to doing so, but the hospital are so pleased with me they are happy to start seeing me just twice a week. The pivotal result they test for is my level of creatinine, a substance that occurs naturally in the body as a result of muscle break down. The kidney filters out creatinine through the urine, therefore if there is lots present in the blood it is