Skip to main content

This - and that

I did it: I have started dialysing at home. I'd love to make a big, "years in the making" hoo-ha about it but I only started training at the beginning of February, so the whole process has only really taken about six weeks start to finish, though I had been thinking about it for several months beforehand and boring everyone with inane HD chat for much longer still.

Hanging with Bear, doin' some dialysin'
Verdict? It's awesome-by-way-of-terrifying. Even after three sessions I am beginning to see the benefits: most notably, the easing of the fluid/diet restrictions (they have not been expunged, but I'll happily take what I can get) and the almost surreal realisation that I don't have to go to the hospital anymore - not for dialysis anyway, unless I contract a tropical disease or my flat burns down and takes my machine with it. I shall still have to pitch up to have a monthly blood test; I got pretty shirty when I learnt I would be having an extra needle stick when I already put pointy things in my arm five times a week and let blood pour forth. The hospital will never let me emancipate entirely; it is like an over-protective mother, if she gave you a blood test when you popped round rather than Sunday lunch. Unexpected advantages have also included a general and pervasive feeling of calm and happiness; more time, for work and play; increased optimism about the future; not having to leave the house carrying my laptop in my loser (and very heavy) rucksack; internet access whilst I dialyse and, weirdly, an improved sense of taste which apparently is quite common.

The moments of terror this week have been provided by consecutive power failures on my first two days of dialysing; the strange and startling noises that emanate from the machine (usually just at the point I am falling asleep); not being able to get my bottom needle in on Wednesday, after ten minutes of digging around and the resultant conclusion from my lovely nurse Karen that something might be wrong my fistula; starting the session to have it slowly dawn on me that my blood was pumping round the machine but no toxins were actually being removed and I had no idea why (frantic call to the unit revealed human error - the human being me) and the moment it occurred to me that I am solely responsible for maintaing a complex piece of machinery whilst keeping myself alive, often simultaneously, and there are numerous times when I have only a rudimentary understanding of what I'm doing. Dialysis is one mother-fucking complex undertaking, and complexity is not really my strong suit.
Victory drink!

But enough about dialysis. Katie pointed out to me that my blog might gain in following were I to post more photos and create a greater juxtaposition between the times when I sit on my bed watching iPlayer, eating M&S cheese and onion triangles and dialysing, and those when I am a glamorous gal-about-town. Katie knows about such things, so I defer to her. So, in that spirit: this week has also seen me gadding about London being gay. I celebrated Tuesday's inaugural session with a victory cocktail and dinner at Isarn with Heidi. If the adage is true and you are indeed what you eat, I left the restaurant as a drunk, rotund, yet perfectly spiced Thai woman. On Wednesday it was on with the glad rags and over to Brasserie Blanc for Kat's surprise birthday dinner (we surprised her by hiding, then yelling SURPRISE); delicious dinner of steak tartare and lamb and savvy media advice from Katie, all washed down with prosecco and white wine which previously would have been off limits. Thursday meant no dialysis, so instead a jaunt to Caravan for brunch with Coralie and the biggest bowl of porridge this side of the Atlantic. One freezing trip to Oxford Circus later, I was snug on the Bakerloo line and headed for Benj and Hannah's (my big brother and his girlfriend) for magazine perusal before they treated me to dinner at Pizza East. I ate my body weight in pork belly pizza before Hannah and I curled up on the sofa and gasped our way through Prisoners' Wives (the ending? Really? They were already half way out the door!) Special mention goes to Mother Edwards who has been unwavering in her support this week, having accompanied me for every hour of every session. Quiche and salad from the excellent deli down the road provided a suitably celebratory lunch marking the end of the my first week. Thank you so much for the chat, drinks, food and support, one and all.

...and another one


So there you have it: highs and lows of confidence and weight, ins and outs of fluids, beginnings and endings....my time on HD has only just begun, whilst my life at the hospital has come to an end. It was surprisingly emotional to let go of it's reassuring presence, but this is the start of something wonderful, and I'm only just getting going.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Postscript

You wouldn't believe where I am. You could guess, if you've seen the gratuitous images of my self-satisfied gurning face in front of an infinity pool on Facebook...otherwise you might find it hard to imagine the paradise in which I currently find myself. I am in Dubai. Bar Abby Clancey and the cast of TOWIE, is is not everyone's idea of paradise - it actually wasn't mine. It is exciting, exotic and fucking hot, but the skyscrapers and traffic, the desert and cultural  deficiency (not to mention the chavs that clutter up the Ritz Carlton these days, I mean honestly...) suggest you'd be hard-pushed to call it paradise. It is vaulted to utopian heights simply because, four-months after the transplant, I am here. My nearest and dearest suffered for seven years as I dreamily aired my wanderlust. Yet the reward of a post-transplant holiday seemed too extravagant a prize for which to yearn - wasn't a life free from dialysis enough? Wasn't having a drink when t

The nights are closing in

The final step of my home dialysis journey (bleugh, journey...sounds like I'm on The X Factor) begins on the 22nd July when Nurse Carla will arrive with a sleeping bag and, presumably, some strong coffee, and sit on my sofa all night whilst I perform my first nocturnal session. It is the dialysis equivalent of hiring a wet nurse. During a regular daytime session, nothing should go wrong unless I have lined the machine carelessly with one eye on Only Connect and consequently forgotten to connect/un-clamp/tighten something pivotal. Dermot should behave, stay quiet and not do any of his ghastly alarm-yelping. At night, however, the chances of rolling over onto the tubes and occluding the blood flow, or the needles falling out and slowly bleeding to death, are much higher, what with all the concurrent sleeping I'll be doing; when this happens Dermot senses DANGER and screams at me. Undoubtedly, my first session with Carla will be seamless; I know from experience that it is only

The phone rings Part III: The Final Chapter

Two weeks ago today, I was in surgery receiving my new kidney. The hospital kicked me out in less than a week and over the last seven days I have divided my time between the transplant clinic and my sofa, with the occasional shuffle up to Sainsbury's to ensure the muscles in my legs don't atrophy. I've had the pleasure of a steady stream of visitors, all of whom have bought me yet more wonderful and totally unnecessary gifts – I have been royally spoilt and I am stupidly grateful to all of you. The kidney itself appears to be going great guns. I was initially attending clinic on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and was committed to doing so, but the hospital are so pleased with me they are happy to start seeing me just twice a week. The pivotal result they test for is my level of creatinine, a substance that occurs naturally in the body as a result of muscle break down. The kidney filters out creatinine through the urine, therefore if there is lots present in the blood it is