Skip to main content

My big, flat fistula shedding

I can't quite believe it: my arm is flat. At least it will be once the swelling goes down and it no longer resembles a balloon animal. After an abortive attempt in the week before Christmas, my fistula was finally plaicated last Wednesday, a graft (or small piece of plastic tubing, for those of you inexplicably not conversant in renal terminology) was inserted and the giant unsightly lump was lopped off. My potassium, which had thwarted my previous sortie, was running high yet again, but my surgeon, JT, had an itchy scalpel finger and the doctors dosed me up with some curative nebulisers and decided to go ahead regardless. The surgery went well and I was wheeled back up to the ward where Papa Edwards was reading The Times, still a little woozy and sore, and found JT had also considerately jammed a drain into my forearm to remove any blood stemming from some genial internal bleeding.

Just in case JT was in any doubt
I abhor staying the night in hospital, but I am nothing if not a team player, and also I couldn't really, you know, get out of bed unaided. I managed about four hours sleep in total which was actually pretty good going when you consider that Mrs Branning two beds up wet herself twice, someone was snoring like a congested gorilla and a nurse arrived to take my observations every four hours. At 1 am, I was treated to a visit from a junior doctor who was keen to take some blood and establish whether "they" needed to attach me to a dialysis machine then and there (that pesky potassium, you see) and whether this would necessitate the threading of an emergency dialysis line into my groin should my new fistula not be quite up to the job. He said some things, but I like to think I made my feelings clear; he left pretty swiftly without taking any blood. I tried to fall back to sleep but with the spectre of a football-in-the-groin (sorry - an in joke for my brothers there) hanging over me, I wasn't very successful.

I particularly enjoyed wearing these
Aside from the usual abject humiliation of needing a nurse to help one wriggle into one's pyjama top whilst emitting Eau de Warthog from one's underarms, the following morning ran smoothly: "they" were so keen for me to dialyse that the machine and my favourite Irish nurse were brought to my bedside and no-one even queried the function of my fistula - Babs just slid the needles in and off I went, making me question whether the episode of the Doctor in the Night had really happened or whether I had just imagined it in a sleep-deprived, Tramadol induced fug. Before Papa E arrived to drive me home (put me to bed and make the obligatory trip to M&S) I had to have the drain removed: when the nurse came to take it out, she pulled the curtain round my bed and my heart sank. This was going to be unpleasant. Fortunately I had no idea just how unpleasant, otherwise I would have put my coat on, left and I would still be trying to style it out. The pain was phenomenal and compounded by the awful sucking sound as the air pressures inside and outside of my arm re-set. I cried. It was all very undignified.

But now I am home; I am back at work, back at uni and will be back at yoga class before you can exhale through your mouth. My arm is still puffy, the bruising is turning it purple and it still kind of sore, but the fistula seems to be in fine form....and did I mention, its flat?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Postscript

You wouldn't believe where I am. You could guess, if you've seen the gratuitous images of my self-satisfied gurning face in front of an infinity pool on Facebook...otherwise you might find it hard to imagine the paradise in which I currently find myself. I am in Dubai. Bar Abby Clancey and the cast of TOWIE, is is not everyone's idea of paradise - it actually wasn't mine. It is exciting, exotic and fucking hot, but the skyscrapers and traffic, the desert and cultural  deficiency (not to mention the chavs that clutter up the Ritz Carlton these days, I mean honestly...) suggest you'd be hard-pushed to call it paradise. It is vaulted to utopian heights simply because, four-months after the transplant, I am here. My nearest and dearest suffered for seven years as I dreamily aired my wanderlust. Yet the reward of a post-transplant holiday seemed too extravagant a prize for which to yearn - wasn't a life free from dialysis enough? Wasn't having a drink when t

The nights are closing in

The final step of my home dialysis journey (bleugh, journey...sounds like I'm on The X Factor) begins on the 22nd July when Nurse Carla will arrive with a sleeping bag and, presumably, some strong coffee, and sit on my sofa all night whilst I perform my first nocturnal session. It is the dialysis equivalent of hiring a wet nurse. During a regular daytime session, nothing should go wrong unless I have lined the machine carelessly with one eye on Only Connect and consequently forgotten to connect/un-clamp/tighten something pivotal. Dermot should behave, stay quiet and not do any of his ghastly alarm-yelping. At night, however, the chances of rolling over onto the tubes and occluding the blood flow, or the needles falling out and slowly bleeding to death, are much higher, what with all the concurrent sleeping I'll be doing; when this happens Dermot senses DANGER and screams at me. Undoubtedly, my first session with Carla will be seamless; I know from experience that it is only

The phone rings Part III: The Final Chapter

Two weeks ago today, I was in surgery receiving my new kidney. The hospital kicked me out in less than a week and over the last seven days I have divided my time between the transplant clinic and my sofa, with the occasional shuffle up to Sainsbury's to ensure the muscles in my legs don't atrophy. I've had the pleasure of a steady stream of visitors, all of whom have bought me yet more wonderful and totally unnecessary gifts – I have been royally spoilt and I am stupidly grateful to all of you. The kidney itself appears to be going great guns. I was initially attending clinic on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and was committed to doing so, but the hospital are so pleased with me they are happy to start seeing me just twice a week. The pivotal result they test for is my level of creatinine, a substance that occurs naturally in the body as a result of muscle break down. The kidney filters out creatinine through the urine, therefore if there is lots present in the blood it is