Skip to main content

I never post, and when I do...

I realise it has been a very long time since I last blogged: six months to be a little more exact. In this time, I have started a relationship; signed up for a half marathon; gone blonde and turned twenty-five. Not exactly life changing stuff.

It is depressing, in fact, just how little has changed and the more time that I spend on dialysis, the more desperate I am for change to come. The last six months should have been the happiest of recent years, and there have certainly been numerous highlights. But the longer I spend on The List, the harder I am finding it to cope. The longer one waits, the more tangible a transplant becomes because us Veterans are given preference. But far from inspiring hope that I reaching my goal, I feel panic that I might not even be half way through. I might be a quarter way through. What if the call never comes?

It doesn't help that I went back to work today after a week off for half term. I do not hate my job, but it makes me feel utterly worthless. I am working in a job that requires no qualifications bar passable English and the ability to remain upright. I earn a laughably small amount and I am not developing in any sense. in terms of hierarchy, even within a primary school in the borough of Tower Hamlets - which means the school itself dwindles in the lower echelons of socio-economic stature - I am right at the bottom. I do the same thing, day in, day out; I am not challenged; I am not stimulated and I am not reaching my potential. Things came to a head this morning: my Headmistress, who does not value, encourage or nurture her staff at the best of times, is forcing us all to sign in and out and record the time at which we arrive and leave. This is being done under the risible pretext of "security"; we all know it is so she can keep tabs on us. As if this wasn't degrading enough, when I cam to scan the list for my name, I found it absent.

"Oh," the Head said dismissively, "it's because you're not permanent staff." (I mean, I've only been working there for over a year). "Maybe you could sign in at reception for the time being?"

"You mean in the visitors' book?" I asked, with more contempt in my voice than I had intended.

"Let's just write your name on the bottom here," she said and she mis-spelled my name.

My friends are lawyers, teachers, accountants and doctors. I am a part-time teaching assistant. I have no prospects and no qualifications barring my degree. I am desperate to start living my life, to contribute, to do something valuable. I want to wear formal clothes to work and assert myself and prove my worth. I have been wrestling with this dilemma for weeks with no respite. I have sought council from friends and family and received excellent advice as a result. But it is not until I walk into school on a grey Monday morning that the reality of my situation hits me and all those plans and good intentions dissipate. I feel desperate. I don't know what to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Postscript

You wouldn't believe where I am. You could guess, if you've seen the gratuitous images of my self-satisfied gurning face in front of an infinity pool on Facebook...otherwise you might find it hard to imagine the paradise in which I currently find myself. I am in Dubai. Bar Abby Clancey and the cast of TOWIE, is is not everyone's idea of paradise - it actually wasn't mine. It is exciting, exotic and fucking hot, but the skyscrapers and traffic, the desert and cultural  deficiency (not to mention the chavs that clutter up the Ritz Carlton these days, I mean honestly...) suggest you'd be hard-pushed to call it paradise. It is vaulted to utopian heights simply because, four-months after the transplant, I am here. My nearest and dearest suffered for seven years as I dreamily aired my wanderlust. Yet the reward of a post-transplant holiday seemed too extravagant a prize for which to yearn - wasn't a life free from dialysis enough? Wasn't having a drink when t

The nights are closing in

The final step of my home dialysis journey (bleugh, journey...sounds like I'm on The X Factor) begins on the 22nd July when Nurse Carla will arrive with a sleeping bag and, presumably, some strong coffee, and sit on my sofa all night whilst I perform my first nocturnal session. It is the dialysis equivalent of hiring a wet nurse. During a regular daytime session, nothing should go wrong unless I have lined the machine carelessly with one eye on Only Connect and consequently forgotten to connect/un-clamp/tighten something pivotal. Dermot should behave, stay quiet and not do any of his ghastly alarm-yelping. At night, however, the chances of rolling over onto the tubes and occluding the blood flow, or the needles falling out and slowly bleeding to death, are much higher, what with all the concurrent sleeping I'll be doing; when this happens Dermot senses DANGER and screams at me. Undoubtedly, my first session with Carla will be seamless; I know from experience that it is only

The phone rings Part III: The Final Chapter

Two weeks ago today, I was in surgery receiving my new kidney. The hospital kicked me out in less than a week and over the last seven days I have divided my time between the transplant clinic and my sofa, with the occasional shuffle up to Sainsbury's to ensure the muscles in my legs don't atrophy. I've had the pleasure of a steady stream of visitors, all of whom have bought me yet more wonderful and totally unnecessary gifts – I have been royally spoilt and I am stupidly grateful to all of you. The kidney itself appears to be going great guns. I was initially attending clinic on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and was committed to doing so, but the hospital are so pleased with me they are happy to start seeing me just twice a week. The pivotal result they test for is my level of creatinine, a substance that occurs naturally in the body as a result of muscle break down. The kidney filters out creatinine through the urine, therefore if there is lots present in the blood it is