Skip to main content

Worse things happen at sea

Things are rotten in the state of Denmark. Or, at least, they were; it was friends and family to the rescue as usual, unable as I seem to be to dig myself out of the ridiculous holes I unfailingly fall into.

I went back to work this week which had been a source of simmering anxiety. As with most novel enterprises, the anticipation is far worse than the reality and there is nothing quite like 30 five year-olds, with their over-sized heads and miniature clothing, calling you "Roooowsy" to reinstate a smile on your face. My last dalliance with the professional world was fairly catastrophic and the experience, unsurprisingly, coloured my perception of how any new job would be. I needn't have worried: I start at 8:45 and finish at 1 so the hours fit snuggly around dialysis. I leave the job at the door and hence am free to enjoy my M&S sandwich and West Wing in relative peace; I also have two blissful afternoons of comprehensive freedom which I shall use to write. Future tense: this week has not been prolific, writing-wise, what with all the drinking, baking and pyschotherapy I've been doing.

The problem with being on dialysis is that it takes up so much energy to simply endure it that you find yourself constantly running at a deficit; consequently, when things go awry, you don't need to be pushed very far to fall off the edge. I had a quick glance over the edge at the beginning of the week but I am, as you see, still standing firm on solid ground.

Which is all a round-about way of saying how grateful I am for so many things in my life. Though immersing myself back into a job has been worrisome, it has reinstated me as a fully functioning member of society - I can pay my rent and everything. Dialysis has retreated to become something I do after work rather than the zenith of my day. I am loathe to reel off a saccharine list of Things For Which I Am Grateful, but it would be amiss for me not to give public (and by public, I mean the 7 friends who read this blog - cheers guys) recognition to my friends, my family, my new-found support network at hospital, and, essentially, the fact that my limbs functions and my brain works, I have a roof over my head and there are people in this world that love me. If I could just learn to say fuck you to the people that aren't so keen on me, I'd be set.

I sometimes look at my little kiddies running around with total innocence and joie de vie and wish that they could stay frozen in time, unaware of the hardships that will inevitably come as they grow older. But life is a train, or a whirlwind or a monkey hurling faeces at you: whichever metaphor you settle on, it is an unstoppable forces that will continue with or without you and unfortunately, no-one is insulated from more bad things happening to them just because some already have. There was a point earlier this week when I wondered whether I had the energy or strength to keep going and I sent up a hurried prayer to anyone listening asking for a bit of strength and courage to get me over the hump. This evening, as I sat on my patio with a vodka and coke in one hand and a cigarette in the other, I gave thanks for the fact these traits must of been bestowed upon me, as I seem to have managed to scrape through. In fact, I don't think my prayer was answered (stupid, lazy God) and nothing was actually given to me. I realised I had all the strength and courage I needed already. It never disappears but it does wane in its intensity and it has taken me a while to understand that my fortitude was still there, albeit smothered under a few layers of anxiety and self-doubt. If I can just hang on to that knowledge, I reckon I might just make it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Postscript

You wouldn't believe where I am. You could guess, if you've seen the gratuitous images of my self-satisfied gurning face in front of an infinity pool on Facebook...otherwise you might find it hard to imagine the paradise in which I currently find myself. I am in Dubai. Bar Abby Clancey and the cast of TOWIE, is is not everyone's idea of paradise - it actually wasn't mine. It is exciting, exotic and fucking hot, but the skyscrapers and traffic, the desert and cultural  deficiency (not to mention the chavs that clutter up the Ritz Carlton these days, I mean honestly...) suggest you'd be hard-pushed to call it paradise. It is vaulted to utopian heights simply because, four-months after the transplant, I am here. My nearest and dearest suffered for seven years as I dreamily aired my wanderlust. Yet the reward of a post-transplant holiday seemed too extravagant a prize for which to yearn - wasn't a life free from dialysis enough? Wasn't having a drink when t

The phone rings Part III: The Final Chapter

Two weeks ago today, I was in surgery receiving my new kidney. The hospital kicked me out in less than a week and over the last seven days I have divided my time between the transplant clinic and my sofa, with the occasional shuffle up to Sainsbury's to ensure the muscles in my legs don't atrophy. I've had the pleasure of a steady stream of visitors, all of whom have bought me yet more wonderful and totally unnecessary gifts – I have been royally spoilt and I am stupidly grateful to all of you. The kidney itself appears to be going great guns. I was initially attending clinic on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and was committed to doing so, but the hospital are so pleased with me they are happy to start seeing me just twice a week. The pivotal result they test for is my level of creatinine, a substance that occurs naturally in the body as a result of muscle break down. The kidney filters out creatinine through the urine, therefore if there is lots present in the blood it is

The nights are closing in

The final step of my home dialysis journey (bleugh, journey...sounds like I'm on The X Factor) begins on the 22nd July when Nurse Carla will arrive with a sleeping bag and, presumably, some strong coffee, and sit on my sofa all night whilst I perform my first nocturnal session. It is the dialysis equivalent of hiring a wet nurse. During a regular daytime session, nothing should go wrong unless I have lined the machine carelessly with one eye on Only Connect and consequently forgotten to connect/un-clamp/tighten something pivotal. Dermot should behave, stay quiet and not do any of his ghastly alarm-yelping. At night, however, the chances of rolling over onto the tubes and occluding the blood flow, or the needles falling out and slowly bleeding to death, are much higher, what with all the concurrent sleeping I'll be doing; when this happens Dermot senses DANGER and screams at me. Undoubtedly, my first session with Carla will be seamless; I know from experience that it is only